Friday, September 27, 2013

Reading Right Now! Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone by Kat Rosenfield

Title: Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone
Author: Kat Rosenfield
What I'm Reading Right Now! is Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone by Kat Rosenfield. I was very excited to find this book at my library and I grabbed it. The synopsis and cover both looked so interesting that I just had to read it. The story is about this girl named Becca who lives in this super small town that she can't wait to get out of. The day after Becca's high school graduation, a girl's battered, broken, and dead body is found on the side of the road. The girl is an outsider to the town, but her murder has an unsettling effect. The whole town is riveted to the story to find out who the girl is and who murdered her. Becca's own life starts to disintegrate around her. She's not sure where her relationship stands with her boyfriend, if she'll indeed leave town to go to college, and her parent's relationship seems to be on the rocks as well.
As of right now, I'm enjoying this book, but I'm not loving it. My main problem is the writing style. At first, I thought it was very pretty and almost lyrical. It's full of description and pretty phrases. Upon further reading, that pretty, flowery language gets in the way of the story. There is too much space devoted to just description of things or tangents that seem to come from nowhere, and the real story of Amelia Anne and Becca seems to get put on the back burner. As of right now, it seems the author is focusing more on style and pretty language than the actual story. When I read, I like the books to be well written, but I also like them to get to the point and tell me what's happening or what's going to happening. It just feels like I'm having to slug through this writing and struggle to get to the real story underneath. I'm not saying it's a bad book. The story (when she actually focuses and tells me it) is really interesting and I want to find out what happens to Becca and the conclusion of Amelia Anne, but I'm just having to force myself through all these overly descriptive and unneeded passages.
I would also say that this book would not be my number one recommendation for YA readers. It just feels a little more adult to me in writing style and some subject matter. There's kinda a lot of sex in this book which I can't say I was expecting.
Sorry for the length of this post. I guess I just really wanted to share all my thoughts and feels with you guys regarding Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone. It's a very interesting story, but the writing style takes away a little of the enjoyment that comes from reading it. So that's it for what I'm Reading Right Now! Tell me what you're Reading Right Now! in the comments below if you want to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment