Monday, November 10, 2014

Review: Invisible Murder (Nina Borg #2) by Lene Kaaberbol and Agnete Friis

Title: Invisible Murder (Nina Borg 2)
Authors: Lene Kaaberbol and Agnete Friis
Translated by: Tara Chace
Published by: SOHO CRIME
Released: 2012
Summary: It all starts when two boys discover something in an abandoned hospital that really shouldn't have been discovered at all. What happens next is a case of crime, terror, and race issues for all involved. Nurse Nina Borg just wants to help some sick Roma children suffering from a mysterious ailment, but she gets sucked into something bigger than she could have ever imagined.
My Thoughts: This is another one of those Swedish/Danish/Nordic crime mysteries that I've been loving lately. Although, I did manage to do something stupid (again!) and pick up the second book in the series. That's okay though, because I don't think you necessarily have to read the first book to understand the story in this one.
This book was just an okay read for me. I didn't love it and I didn't hate it. The first half of the book was really slow and jumped around from character to character. I knew their stories would merge at some point, but it felt like it took forever to do so. Also, the crime aspect of the book didn't kick in until a good chunk into the book. I guess I just figured that with a title like 'Invisible Murder,' there would be a murder to begin the story.
This story also covered a lot of issues. There was racism, terrorism, sex trafficking, kidnapping, chemical weapons, just soooo many things. It was hard keeping up with everything. Once everything came together, it was a very enjoyable read. The ending was a little depressing though, it seemed like none of the characters really ended up happy or that their lives were better off.
Overall, I enjoyed this book. It wasn't my favorite Nordic crime fiction that I've ever read, but it was good. None of the characters really stood out to me as favorites and some of them felt sort of thrown away in the end. If you're a fan of Nordic crime fiction, then give this one a shot. Just be warned that the beginning is a slow one.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3/5
Just an okay, Nordic crime read.

No comments:

Post a Comment