Monday, October 13, 2014

Review: Death Note Black Edition Volume I by Tsugumi Ohba

Title: Death Note Black Edition Volume I
Author: Tsugumi Ohba
Art by: Takeshi Obata
Published by: VIZ Medai, LLC
Released: 2003, 2010, 2011
Summary: Light Yagami is a top of his class high school student who one day stumbles upon a DeathNote dropped by a Shinigami, (Death god) Ryuk. With this Death Note, Light can kill people just by writing down their name and picturing their face. So what does a normal high school student do with this power? He kills people, lots and lots of people, and sets in to motion one of the biggest manhunts Japan has ever witnessed. Is Light Good? Bad? and will he ever be caught? Read the manga and find out.
My Thoughts: I was extremely curious about this series because of all the awesome stuff I've heard about it. Many of my booktube friends have read the series and loved it, so when I saw the first volume for cheap, I decided to pick it up and give it a try. At the beginning, I wasn't sure that I would love it, but as I got farther and read on, I just couldn't put it down.
Light is so twisted in how he categorizes good and evil and who he decides to kill. It's also interesting how he doesn't see himself as evil or bad when he's going around murdering everybody and then enjoying the game of his manhunt. It's also interesting to see him go from killing criminals only, to killing the good guys in the world. Light is super twisted and it'll be interesting to see how far he can go before he's caught. The shinigami, Ryuk adds a nice bit of comic relief, even though he's not that pretty to look at.
I'm really enjoying the story and I'll be interested to see how it all works out. Hopefully I can pick up more books in the series soon. This is a fun manga and I highly recommend it.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
Death Notes be scary, especially when Light Yagami has one

No comments:

Post a Comment