Friday, June 8, 2018

Reading Right Now! (166)

What I'm Reading Right Now! is...


Title: Magic Bites (Kate Daniels #1)
Author: Ilona Andrews

I've decided to unofficially commit myself to a goal of starting older urban fantasy series and trying to read a book each month, at least. I say unofficially, because I'll probably fail, and that way I won't feel as bad when I do. Makes sense right? right.
So, I've been hearing about the Kate Daniels series for a while. I've heard good things about it, that it is a good series. So I thought I'd try my hand at reading it.
I do have other series that I want to read too. Like the Patricia Briggs books, the Dresden Files, and that one about the witch. I have big plans haha.
So far, I'm a little meh about Magic Bites. It's all right, but I'm not in love with it. This is the first book, the introduction to the series, and I guess I just expected more introduction. I feel like I got thrown into a thing where I'm already supposed to know the characters and backstories and world, but I don't because it was never explained. My main struggle so far with this is the world, I don't really get it. I'm thinking it's set in the future and the world as I know it now was somehow destroyed by magic? I don't know where the magic came from or how it's destroyed everything, but basically it made buildings crumble. And there's gross looking, animal like vampires that are controlled by people like puppets. There are shape shifters that can turn into all kinds of animals, but they don't sound that cute. And then there's Kate Daniels, a mercenary with secrets that I don't know yet.
I just feel very thrown into the deep end with this one. I've got 100 pages left to read. Right now, I'm leaning towards giving it a 3/5. It's just okay. But, I am going to continue on with the series. Maybe I'll understand more in the next books and get everything.

So that's what I'm Reading Right Now! What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment