Thursday, June 21, 2018

Review: Breaker by Kat Ellis


Title: Breaker
Author: Kat Ellis
Published by: Running Press Teen
Released: 2016
Source: Library

Summary: A killer known as the Bonebreaker terrorized the mountains of North Carolina. He liked to hurt women, break their hands and feet so they couldn't run or fight back. Naomi and Kyle's lives were changed by the Bonebreaker in different ways. Once the Bonebreaker was caught and executed, Kyle and Naomi still have scars.
Naomi's mother was the last victim of the Bonebreaker. She saw things that can never erase from her mind. Naomi goes to live with her grandparents at Killdeer Academy. 
Kyle is the son of the Bonebreaker. His name is now mud. He's judged for the sins of his father. Kyle and his mother want a fresh start. They move and he enrolls in Killdeer Academy.
Naomi notices the new kid, introduces herself to Kyle, who can't believe his eyes. He can't tell her who he is, what his father did to her mother, and he's falling for her.
Things start happening at Killdeer Academy, things that bring to mind the Bonebreaker
My Thoughts: I enjoyed this book. It was an interesting thing. I was probably most drawn to the premise. I find myself very curious and sad for families of serial killers. What would that be like? I don't even want to know, my mind can't even compute. To think you know someone, love someone, and then find out they've done horrible things. To live the rest of your life under that shame. So yeah, Kyle's struggle really intrigued me.
I also really liked the atmosphere of this book. The whole thing felt kind of dark, mysterious, and not right. It had this dark undertone to it that was really fun to read.
As far as the mystery went, it wasn't bad, but it was super easy to figure out. There was no twist because it was so easy to figure out who the baddie was. I wish the twist/ending had been a little more surprising.
I also think more could have been done with the story and characters. Kit and Fletcher were really interesting and I expected more from their stories. Also the principal, she seemed like she had something going on, but then she kind of just disappeared. I also would have liked some resolution with Naomi's grandpa's story. Just something to see how it ended. There were a lot of interesting/suspicious characters in here that I thought would have more of a story then they did.
I really enjoyed this book. I was interested in the story, and figuring out where everything was going to go. The atmosphere was dark and mysterious, which I liked. The premise was something that definitely drew me in. I thought it was good, but there were things that kept it from being awesome. I'm definitely going to read more of Kat Ellis's books, because I'm interested.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.7/5
I'm not mad at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment