Friday, June 7, 2019

Reading Right Now! (209)

*sneaks in quietly* Well, hey there! I'm a potato. The laziness continues when it comes to my blog, my posts, my life. Work has been a little all over the place this week. I've had to cover at different locations, and when I come home I just feel like doing nothing. So that's my crappy reasoning for being a slug.
Anyway, back to the good stuff. What I'm Reading Right Now! is...


The Lying Woods by Ashley Elston -- I'm on a bit of a mystery kick for June. I mean, if you can count two mystery-ish/thriller books at the beginning of June a kick. I don't know. I actually got The Lying Woods quite a while ago as a review book on Netgalley, but we all know I suck at reading Netgalley books. Doesn't stop me from requesting them though. So I never read the e-galley version, but I did find a physical copy at my library. I love a physical copy. I've been meaning to read Ashley Elston for a while. I bought one of her books, that one that has the deer antlers on the cover I think. Still haven't read it.
I really didn't know much about The Lying Woods going into it. I still don't really know a lot about it almost 200 pages in. This book has very high ratings on Goodreads though, which intrigues me.
I'm liking it a lot. It's holding its cards close to the chest. I'm really enjoying it. It's about a boy named Owen Foster who is living the nice life, but that all comes crashing down when his father is accused of stealing company money from his employees and vanishing. Owen is forced to leave the fancy schmancy school he was going to and move back to his hometown. Everyone now hates him there because his dad's business was the lifeblood of this little town. Owen is feeling anger, resentment, the starting stages of guilt. Why would his dad do this? Where is his dad? What happened to all that money?
While he's wallowing in his self pity, he's offered a job helping an older guy named Gus with his Pecan Farm. The same place his dad worked at for a summer.
That's where I'm at right now. That's what I know. It alternates between Owen's perspective in the present and then goes back to the past, to his dad that summer he worked at Gus's Farm. It's a slow burn kind of thing, but it's really interesting, I'm really enjoying it. The writing is good. And once I finish it, I can finally review it years late haha.

I don't know what I'm going to read next. Maybe it will be another mystery. Who knows? So that's what I'm Reading Right Now! What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment