Friday, January 8, 2021

Reading Right Now! (285)

Happy New Year!! 2020 is officially behind us, let's hope that 2021 is more kind. Let's let this first week of it just be some kind of fluke. It has to get better, right? right? I'm not feeling too optimistic about it, if I'm honest.
Ooh and also, I've started a new reading game for me to play in 2021 called Deck Of TBR! I got the idea from BookswithMaddi on youtube who put the idea together. AprilMaximus also does it. And I got the TBR prompts from BookRoast on youtube, just because I'm not very creative. BookRoast has another kind of TBR/book buying game they are playing, but there are cards with prompts that I used for my own game.
Essentially, Deck of TBR is where you take a Deck of Cards, playing cards, and pull them from the deck. You have a big board with all the numbers and suits that corresponds with a prompt. It's fun.

What I'm Reading Right Now! is...



Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children #5) by Seanan McGuire -- I'm going to put it out there that I enjoy this series, but I don't love it with all my being. I am not really a fan of the novella format when it comes to this series because I feel like it gives the author an excuse to leave out all the adventuring and just give a brief mention of it happening in the story. I think I'm still a little angry at Book #4, which did that a lot. This book is a continuation of Jack and Jill's story after the events of Every Heart A Doorway. The timeline in this series is all screwy.
I'm pleased that this started with action pretty much right away. Sometimes I feel like I have to wade through a chapter or two of philosophical thoughts or mumbo jumbo before it really kicks it into gear. I guess I wouldn't mind that if the stories weren't so short. 
I'm excited to find out what happens with Jack and Jill. I've just started it.
I'm using it for my Deck of TBR prompt which was to read an arc, and I got an arc of this from Netgalley/Publisher but I checked out a physical copy from the library.

The October Faction, Volume 2 by Steve Niles and Damien Worm -- This has a Netflix Adaptation which is how it originally came on my radar. I've gotta say though, I thought the Netflix Show could have been better and I'm not shocked it didn't get a Season 2. 
I'm enjoying the comic. I think what really shines is the art style. It's very Munsters/Addams Family Vibe tones. Kind of dingy with the colors used and almost like you're looking at them through a fog. I'm probably not making any sense, but I like the ambience of the art style.
The story is all right. I remember liking Volume 1. Volume 2, I don't know if it has that much of a plot. The father is testing the kids monster fighting abilities.
I'm also reading this for my Deck of TBR, which was to read a comic or manga. I'm reading this through Hoopla.

And that's what I'm Reading Right Now! Sorry for my rambling. I definitely suggest checking out BooksWithMaddi 's Deck of TBR videos to see how the game is really played.
What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment