Wednesday, April 14, 2021

March Wrap Up and April Deck of TBR 2021

 I really thought that March was going to be when I blew it out of the water and just read all kinds of books. That didn't happen. I read 5 books. Five books is not a bad number, it's just not how I thought I was going to do. Comparing 2021 to 2020, I am behind where I was last year. We'll see if I can be a super reader this month.



 

 
Agnes at the End of the World by Kelly McWilliams -- This one was weird, and not in a way that I was a fan off. This is a very religious story, which came as a bit of a surprise for me. I knew it was about a cult, but I thought Agnes would just run away and leave, and then be stuck in the world where a weird pandemic was raging. Some of that did happen, yes, but it was all very B plotline. There are miraculous gifts in here, people think that they are actually prophets with gifts bestowed by the Creator. And at the end of this story, I don't feel like anything was really learned. It just seemed like everything Agnes hated and ran away from was just starting again in another cycle, except with someone else at the helm. It was just a strange book. It was really easy to read and get through, but some of the subject matter just left a bad taste in my mouth. BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.5/5

Dusk or Dark or Dawn or Day by Seanan McGuire -- Meh. I don't know if I'm always the biggest fan of the novella format. World building probably took up over half of this story. When the plot and action finally kicked in, it was over right when it was really starting. It just wasn't satisfying. The world was interesting enough. It had ghosts and witches and they had unique ways of coexisting, but it just is over when it really starts getting good. BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.4/5

The Beast of Beswick (#1) by Amalie Howard -- Historical romance with a scarred hero and a marriage of convenience. Also, Beauty and the Beast vibes. I liked this. A lot of steamy bits. Maybe too much she doesn't love me wallowing, but he eventually got there. BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5

Hello Girls by Brittany Cavallaro and Emily Henry -- No. These girls just annoyed me. I don't feel like they thought things through. They had no real plans. They were just meandering along. I didn't like them. There are some triggers for parental abuse, and reading those scenes really did make me uncomfortable. And then the end was just kind of depressing. I did not have a good time with this book, it wasn't fun. BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3/5

Girl, Serpent, Thorn by Melissa Bashardoust -- A really interesting, fairy tale vibe read. I enjoyed this one. I liked the Persian inspiration this had. It was a slower paced read. BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.5/5

Deck of TBR: April 2021
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment