Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Top 5 Wednesday: Top 5 Most Frustrating Characters

This week's Top 5 Wednesday topic is my Top 5 Most Frustrating Characters. Some of these were easy to come up with, some were not. Some of these characters are reasons why I didn't like the book or series they resided in. Other characters, while frustrating, added a little bit of fun to the book or series that they were in. Frustrating characters can either break a story or add to it, depending on how much frustration they make me feel. So here are my Top 5 Frustrating Characters.

 

  


1. Tamara from The Book of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern: This girl frustrated me to no end. Tamara is the main character in this book and really wasn't anything special. This book was supposed to be about a girl who discovers a book that shows her the future. The synopsis had me hooked, but when I picked it up and read it, I discovered a more disappointing rather than magical story. Tamara as a main character was an idiot. That might be a little harsh, but I really didn't like any of the decisions that she made. There were times when I was yelling at her in my head for what she was doing. I just didn't like this book because I didn't like the main character Tamara at all.

2. Alex from Half-Blood and The Covenant Series by Jennifer L. Armentrout: If you've been reading my blog and recent reviews, then this frustrating character won't be a surprise to you. I have ranted and raved about Alex in many reviews and she honestly frustrates me to no end. I don't like Alex as a person/character. She's not someone I can sympathize with and I don't really want to root for her in the series. Alex frustrates me for her stupid decision making skills, not having the ability to think anything through at all, and for her inflated ego and overabundance of self-importance. That probably sounds a bit mean, but I feel all those things when it comes to Alex. She's the reason I will never be a fan of this series. Also, I don't think she's funny. Aiden, I know you love her, but I can't stand her.

3. Sir Cadogan from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling: This one is a bit obscure, but all you hard-core Harry Potter fans know who I'm talking about. Sir Cadogan comes onto the scene after Sirius Black attacks the Fat Lady's Portrait. He becomes the new gatekeeper of the Gryffindor Common Room. He loves to change the passwords every other day and pretty much just make a nuisance of himself. He's a funny character in the books and I enjoyed the scenes that he was in. He was frustrating to every Gryffindor though, because he took his job so seriously and getting into their common room became so much harder. He is very funny to sit and observe though, even his horse doesn't really pay him any mind. Sir Cadogan, I hereby knight you most frustrating Gryffindor gatekeeper ever.

4. The Governor from The Walking Dead: The Rise of the Governor by Robert Kirkman and Jay Bonansinga: The Governor lands on my list because he's so frustrating in such an evil way. He makes life miserable for Rick and the others for no real apparent reason, really just to be a dick and because he's crazy.  Now I might be influenced more by The Governor from the t.v. show rather than this book specifically, but in this book he was frustrating too, just because he was so odd and I didn't really understand all his motivations and reasons for turning out like he did. I mean he is crazy and you can't really explain or justify crazy, but The Governor is frustrating and just causes grief for so many people. He can be a fun character to despise though.

5. Eleanor from Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell: Yes I'm going there, taking a beloved character from a beloved book and announcing that she frustrated me to no end. Let me just first put out there that I was never really enamored with this book like the rest of the bookworld was. It was an alright book for me, but nothing super life changing or special. My favorite character was Park. Eleanor was just ehh. I felt bad for her sure, but the reason that she lands on this list was because she frustrated me with her life choices, specifically the ending and what she did to Park. It just seemed unnecessarily hurtful to me and I didn't really understand it. I guess maybe she thought Park deserved better, but she shouldn't have tried to make decisions for him. I'm keeping this vague so I don't spoil anyone on anything. But Eleanor was just a frustrating character to me and I didn't really like her or understand her all that much.

So those are my Top 5 Most Frustrating Characters. Who frustrates you and why? I would love to know. And if you want to join in the Top 5 Wednesday fun, you totally should. Each Wednesday there is a new, fun topic to discuss and pick books for. It's a great feature to include on your blog or your booktube channel. Here's all the other Top 5 Wednesday-ers!

No comments:

Post a Comment