Thursday, December 17, 2015

Review: Once (Eve Trilogy: Book 2) by Anna Carey


Title: Once (Eve Trilogy: Book 2)
Author: Anna Carey
Published by: Harper
Released: 2012

Summary: The second book in the stunning Eve Trilogy takes up right where the first one left off. Eve has made it to Califia, but has had to leave everyone who mattered to her behind. In the girls only refuge of Califia, Eve's true love Caleb is not allowed. When Eve hears a rumor that Caleb is outside in the wilds, hurt and helpless, she decides to leave Califia in order to be with him. Trouble ensues and Eve finds herself captured by New American soldiers and is taken to the King and the City of Sand. While in the City, Eve finds out some shocking secrets from her past and must try to find a way to reunite with Caleb and rescue her friends.
My Thoughts: I really enjoy this series. Anna Carey has delivered a solid sequel to Eve with Once. The Eve Trilogy has quickly jumped my list to favorite dystopian series and I can't wait to find out what happens in the last book Rise! This is one trilogy that I highly recommend picking up and devouring.
This second book was just as enjoyable as the first. It had a very fast, action packed beginning, a kind of slow middle, and a heart breaking end. I really enjoyed being introduced to the King and the City of Sand, and just being introduced to a different part of this New American world. I think Anna Carey did a great job of making our "villains" seem human. It was tough for me to hate anyone in this book. With the City of Sand, the reader can see that the King is trying his best to lead and create a new world, but he doesn't always make the best decisions while doing so. Carey just does a good job of making each character human and not setting them into camps firmly of good or evil. But Carey also shows the importance of choices and the flaws of a society where the well being of some is more important than the well being of all. I just really enjoyed the glimpse into the city. I don't really know what to think of the ending. Definitely heartbreaking, but at the same time, I'm thinking this can't be it.
All in all, I really enjoyed this book and I'm really enjoying this series. Can't wait to see how it all ends in Rise and I hope Eve, Arden, Caleb, Pip, and Ruby all have a happy ending.

BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
Stunning sequel! Can't wait to see how it all ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment