Monday, April 9, 2018

Review: You Can't Hide (Shadow House #2) by Dan Poblocki


Title: You Can't Hide (Shadow House #2)
Author: Dan Poblocki
Published by: Scholastic Inc.
Released: 2017
Source: Library

Summary: Azumi, Poppy, Marcus, Dylan, and Dash are all trapped inside Larkspur House. The House won't let them leave. Hallways twist and change. Doors lock and disappear.
The Specials also roam the halls, the masked children are dangerous and attack when they spot Poppy, Marcus, Azumi, Dylan, and Dash. Poppy thinks she's found a way to free them from their torment, but doing so is challenging.
They have to escape Larkspur, and maybe they can by figuring out its secrets.
My Thoughts: What a fun book! I'm really loving this series. It's great Middle Grade, it's great horror, and it's great creepy. It is a lot of fun to read.
This sequel had a lot of shocks, twists, and turns. It had some definite surprises which got me.
I will say, I think it's best to read the sequel right after reading The Gathering. You Can't Hide picks right up where The Gathering left off. I ended up being a little lost and confused in the beginning, trying to remember what happened last, but I quickly figured it all out.
This house is just crazy! I really liked finding out all the new secrets, trying to figure out who I could trust. There were also developments I didn't expect.
I really enjoy how well this story, and series, delivers on the scary. It definitely is creepy. I love the addition of the pictures, they just add to the creepiness perfectly. It really reminds me of Japanese Horror, which is a kind of scary all its own. It's the kind of scary, haunted house book I just love reading.
Sometimes the kids could be a little mean to each other. I was reminded how young they were and how annoying they could be, but it was a Middle Grade book, so their attitudes/actions fit with the story.
I'm excited to see where the third book goes. I'm sad that I can't pick it up and read it right now. I want to know what happens with the kids. What is going to happen with Dylan. What new horrors they'll find themselves in. I think this series is great! It is great Middle Grade horror. I'd definitely recommend it.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4.2/5
Creepy House. Creepy Kids. Creepy Fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment