Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Review: Goodbye Paris (Pono Hawkins #3) by Mike Bond


Title: Goodbye Paris (Pono Hawkins #3)
Author: Mike Bond
Published by: Big City Press
Released: June 2019
Source: arc from Publisher and Meryl Moss Media

Synopsis: Special Forces veteran Pono Hawkins races from a Tahiti surfing competition to France when he learns that a terrorist he'd thought was dead, Mustafa al-Boudienne, may have a backpack nuclear weapon and plans to destroy Paris. Pono was once Mustafa's prisoner, and is now the only one left alive to identify him.
Joining forces with former allies from US, French and Russian intelligence, and with an intrepid and brilliant French agent, Anne Ronsard, with whom he soon falls in love, Pono sets out against impossible odds to catch and kill Mustafa and his terrorist cell before they can destroy the most beautiful city on Earth.
Another in the bestselling Pono Hawkins series after Saving Paradise and Killing Maine, GOODBYE PARIS is a hallmark Mike Bond thriller: alive, tense, exciting, and full of fascinating details and places. And that will keep you up all night. (Synopsis from Goodreads)

My Thoughts: I received an arc copy for honest review from the Publisher and Meryl Moss Media. Thank you so much to them for giving me the opportunity to read Goodbye Paris and share it.
I found Goodbye Paris to be a very average read. It didn't really grip me. For an action thriller, it was kind of a slow read. I'm not getting what makes Pono Hawkins so great or desirable? I'm not getting why all the women want to sleep with him. Why he would have three girlfriends at once.
I feel like this story was kind of bogged down with tangents. It didn't stay with the action. It didn't thrill me. When it did have action and chase things, it was fun, but it tended to get a little stagnant during the down time.
I thought it was a really interesting take on Paris as it is now. I don't think it's going to appeal to very politically correct readers because of how it illustrates how Paris has been taken over by Muslim Extremists, how the government really does nothing about it. 
The author seems very knowledgable of all these places and history, but he sometimes has a dull way of writing it.
I'm glad I got the chance to read Goodbye Paris. It was a good read. It might not be everyone's cup of tea. It offers a really interesting perspective of the takeover of Paris. The ending isn't exactly triumphant or hope filled, because the problem is still there. Just one of Hydra's heads has been cut off and many will grow back.
Thanks to the publisher and Meryl Moss Media for letting me give it a read for honest review.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.3/5
Not Bad

No comments:

Post a Comment