Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Review: Like Never and Always by Ann Aguirre

 

 
Title: Like Never and Always
Author: Ann Aguirre
Published by: Tor Teen
Released: 2018
Source: e-arc from publisher through Netgalley / physical library copy
 
Synopsis:  On a hot summer night, a screech of brakes and shattering glass changes two lives forever.
Liv wakes in the hospital, confused when they call her Morgan. She assumes it’s a case of mistaken identity, yet when the bandages come off, it’s not her face in the mirror anymore. It’s her best friend Morgan’s.
Morgan always seemed to have the perfect life, yet Liv must navigate endlessly disturbing secrets of the criminal and murderous variety—and a romance that feels like a betrayal. Torn between the boy she loved as Liv and the boy she’s grown to love as Morgan, Liv still has to survive Morgan’s last request. (Synopsis from Goodreads)
 
My Thoughts:  Thanks so much to Tor Teen for providing me with a copy for review! Please forgive me for reviewing it so late.
I was really sucked into Like Never and Always. There was something really addicting about it. I felt like I couldn't look away.
I really enjoyed the writing style. There was something so easy and interesting about it. The whole body switcheroo thing grabbed me from the start. It was definitely the pull that made me pick this book up at first. In ways, I thought more was going to be done or revealed with that angle. I thought the why of it all was going to be much more important then it actually was. I do wish that we had got to see some of the real Morgan at the beginning, just so we could see what kind of character she was before she was lost.
The whole Liv becoming Morgan thing was very interesting. It wasn't like Liv could ever go back to her own body, so she had to deal with her new reality. Does she, or can she become the Liv that she was before the accident? It was just a very interesting journey to go on.
I am conflicted, very conflicted about the relationship aspect of this book. I think it's the fact that they are brothers, it just makes everything feel so complicated and a little wrong. Liv before she died is dating and in love with younger brother Nathan, but when Liv is now Morgan, she starts to develop feelings for the older brother Clay. I personally liked Clay more, but it just all felt very scandalous. It does a good job with the romance though.
The beginning of this book was full of twists and some red herrings. It was fun trying to figure out just where it was going to go. The direction that it took in the end wasn't the most exciting of avenues, but I was interested.
The ending was pretty suspenseful.
I was hooked when it came to Like Never and Always. I loved the body switcheroo story line, the twists, the turns, and the romance. It definitely kept me on my toes. I'm going to read more from this author.
 
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
Liv, Morgan...Lirgan??  

No comments:

Post a Comment