Monday, December 28, 2020

Review: Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children #2) by Seanan McGuire

 
 
Title: Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children #2)
Author: Seanan McGuire
Published by: Tor / Tom Doherty Associates Book
Released: 2017
Source: Library
 
Synopsis: Twin sisters Jack and Jill were seventeen when they found their way home and were packed off to Eleanor West’s Home for Wayward Children.
This is the story of what happened first…
Jacqueline was her mother’s perfect daughter—polite and quiet, always dressed as a princess. If her mother was sometimes a little strict, it’s because crafting the perfect daughter takes discipline.
Jillian was her father’s perfect daughter—adventurous, thrill-seeking, and a bit of a tom-boy. He really would have preferred a son, but you work with what you've got.
They were five when they learned that grown-ups can’t be trusted.
They were twelve when they walked down the impossible staircase and discovered that the pretense of love can never be enough to prepare you a life filled with magic in a land filled with mad scientists and death and choices. (Synopsis from Goodreads)
 
My Thoughts: This series gets so much hype and I don't really get it. I thought Down Among the Sticks and Bones was fine, but I don't think it's the best thing ever. I enjoyed reading it and plan on continuing with the series, but it's not the best thing I ever read.
I was excited to get Jack and Jill's story, to be able to explore one of these strange worlds the Wayward Children have journeyed to.
I think this book was too short to really get a feel for the Moors and the ways it changed Jack and Jill. There were so many questions I had about the Moors that weren't answered. It's just too short to really explore the whole story. I know that these are novellas, but it's just such an unsatisfying length for the tale being told.
I also found Part 1 of the story kind of tedious and boring. There was a lot of telling instead of showing, and it really just tried to hit you over the head with the whole gender roles angle. Which is fine, whatever. I'd definitely agree that Chester and Serena had kids for the wrong reasons and didn't let them be who they wanted, but it wasn't like the girls didn't have love, experience love from their Grandma. I get that they grew up in a cold household, but I just don't know if I bought into all that stuff. Just my opinion.
I also don't get the random illustrations. Why were there just three? I liked them, but they just seemed very thrown in. I would have been fine with more.
The story was very quick and I enjoyed reading it. I just don't get the hype. I thought it was fine, just like I thought Every Heart A Doorway was fine, but I don't think it's the best book I've ever read. I'll read more in this series because I'm interested. It's fine.
 
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.5/5
It's All Right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment