Thursday, December 24, 2020

Review: I Hate Fairyland, Volume 1: Madly Ever After by Skottie Young and Jean-Francois Beaulieu

 
 
Title: I Hate Fairyland, Volume 1: Madly Ever After
Written and Drawn by: Skottie Young
Coloring by: Jean-Francois Beaulieu
Lettering and Design by: Nate Piekos
Logo Design by: Rian Hughes
Published by: Image Comics, Inc.
Released: 2016
Source: Library 
 
Synopsis: From superstar writer and artist Skottie Young (Rocket Raccoon, Wizard of OZ, Fortunately, The Milk), comes the first volume of an all-new series of adventure and mayhem.
An Adventure Time/Alice in Wonderland-style epic that smashes its cute little face against grown-up, Tank Girl/Deadpool-esque violent madness. Follow Gert, a forty year old woman stuck in a six year old's body who has been trapped in the magical world of Fairyland for nearly thirty years. Join her and her giant battle-axe on a delightfully blood-soaked journey to see who will survive the girl who HATES FAIRYLAND. 
Collecting: I Hate Fairyland 1-5 (Synopsis from Goodreads)
 
My Thoughts: This was AWESOME! I loved this. It was so fun, so violent, and so funny! I loved everything about it.
The art was great. It was super colorful and fun. It was just a good time to look at. I really do love color when it comes to comics, or at least color done right, and this was just so awesomely vibrant.
The story was a lot of fun to read. Gertrude is just this deranged girl, which is understandable after being stuck for years in a crazy world in a little kid's body. She likes killing a lot, and she seems to be good at it.
Larry is an awesome companion. I love his humor. I'm not sure if he wants to be rid of Gertrude or if they are friends. I mean, it could be both.
Queen Cloudia should have thought twice before snatching Gertrude from Earth.
This kind of reminded me of Every Heart A Doorway by Seanan McGuire. I don't know if Gertrude is going to get out, but could you imagine her trying to readjust to Earth? She might be too far gone.
I Hate Fairyland was awesome. I loved it. I can't wait to see what happens with Gert next. The story made me laugh, the art was fantastic, it's great. Definitely a comic I'll recommend.
 
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 5/5
Fan-Fluffing-Tastic! 

No comments:

Post a Comment