Friday, June 29, 2012

Reading Right Now: An Early Thoughts Post

Semi-Charmed Life
Title: Semi-Charmed Life
Author: Nora Zelevansky

First off, thank you Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for letting me read and review this book.
Releases July 3, 2012
According to my kindle I am 40% of the way through this book.

This book isn't too bad so far. It focuses on Beatrice Bernstein who comes from a family that is big in the New York Art Community. Beatrice is kind of the different one in the family of artists. She likes gossip and reality t.v. while her parents and sister love Proust Readings (?) and openings or showings for artists. Beatrice goes to college and is in her senior year for a degree in journalism. All that would be fine, except Beatrice's little moleskin notebook is empty and she doesn't know what to write about. Her senior year of college is overtaken by the arrival of "It" Girl Veruca Pfeffernoose who comes to Beatrice with the proposition to ghost write her blog to herald her into the art world. Beatrice agrees and suddenly she's shadowing Veruca to the hottest parties and events.
Sorry for the little synopsis there, but that's about all I know of it so far. I'm reading this on my kindle from Netgalley and St. Martin's Press. The writing style kind of reminds me of Candace Bushnell who wrote Sex and the City and 4 Blondes. I'm liking this book but not loving it. Sometimes the writing goes off on tangents that I lose interest in. Sometimes it breaks out into page long lists that I don't care about. The romance aspect of the book is intriguing and I want to know what happens. Also Beatrice is a pretty likable character. The cover is simply stunning. I think that's what drew me to this book. I love the watercolor effect. If you like Candace Bushnell or The Gossip Girl series then I urge you to check out this book.
This book comes out July 3, 2012 so look for my full review of it near that date.
That's my thoughts at the moment so keep on reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment