Friday, May 31, 2013

Reading Right Now! Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead

Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X, #1)
Title: Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X #1)
Author: Richelle Mead

This weekend I'm reading Gameboard of the Gods which I recieved from Netgalley and Dutton. It's a new series from Richelle Mead and I was super excited to get my hands on it. It comes out June 4, 2013, which is one of the big reasons I decided to read it. I was excited to pick this up because I've heard such stellar things about Richelle Mead. However, this book is just proving to be a sort of meh read so far. It's very slow paced and packed with a lot of detail and world building. The story is just not really drawing me in so far. It's not awful, but it's not fantastic either. Hopefully the action and adventure will start to pick up as I go along.
Also the story line itself is a little complicated. I'm not really sure I understand how this whole RUNA world came about. Here's what I've figured out about the book so far. There was a disease that targeted people of a pure sort of ethnic background. What I mean is, Caucasians, Hispanics, Asians, African Americans were all targeted by this disease and it ended up wiping out a lot of people and causing their descendants to suffer from asthma and disfigurement. As a result of this, all the races were mixed together. Religion is also a danger to the RUNA. The RUNA has certain laws and guidelines about controlling religions so they don't become a danger to society. If that attempt at explanation is a little confusing, it's because I'm a little confused reading it. 
Our characters are Justin, a servitor who investigates religions and religious cults, Mae a Praetorian, which is pretty much a genetically altered soldier, and Tessa a girl from Panama. 
So yeah, that's what I'm Reading Right Now! Tell me what you're reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment