Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Review of: Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X #1) by Richelle Mead

Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X, #1)
Title: Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X #1)
Author: Richelle Mead
Published by: Dutton/Penguin Group
Released: June 4, 2013
Summary: The RUNA is a nation full of technological marvels and happy citizens. The RUNA rose after the Decline and operates as a place where technology is always at ones' fingertips and religion is tightly observed and controlled. When Justin March is exiled from the RUNA, he is devastated. Now living in Panama, a city known for its lack of technological wonder and gun violence, Justin is surprised to receive a message from his old boss along with a job opportunity. Justin is offered to return to the RUNA only if he can solve a series of crimes involving the murder of patricians. Justin jumps at the offer. A Praetorian guard named Mae is assigned to him for his protection. They must gather the clues and solve the crimes before another death occurs.
My Thoughts: I just want to thank Netgalley and Dutton/Penguin Group for letting me review an early e-ARC of this novel. I was super pumped to get my hands on Richelle Mead's newest novel and brand new series. I wasn't sure exactly what I was getting into with this book, but I was excited to go on the journey.
Unfortunately, I didn't end up loving this book. Nothing against Richelle Mead or her writing, there are a ton of her books that I'm dying to read, but I don't know if Gameboard of the Gods is my cup of tea. This book is a beast, coming in at 464 pages and it felt like it took me forever to read. It was kind of a dull, boring read that didn't have enough action or suspense. The draw just wasn't there for me to keep reading. I think the book suffered from too many words and not enough action. The build up to action scenes took way too long and there were many scenes that were unnecessary and not relevant to the overall story line. I think if this book had been a little shorter, I would have enjoyed it more.
I was also ambivalent about the characters. I didn't like them, but I didn't hate them either. Justin wasn't really an attractive or likable character. He's a metro-sexual, womanizer who likes to flaunt his intelligence every chance he gets. He's not a guy I would crush over. Mae is a cold fish who lives in extremes. I also have a hard time seeing the two of them as a potential couple.
The world of RUNA was a little weird for me too. I don't understand how a place can be so open to new technology and so close minded when it comes to faith and religion.
All in all, I was super excited to get my hands on this book, but in the end I was disappointed. The ending was a little interesting and I might check in to see what happens in the next book.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3/5
Too many pages and not enough action.

No comments:

Post a Comment