Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Review of: The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda

The Hunt (The Hunt, #1)
Title: The Hunt
Author: Andrew Fukuda
Published by: St. Martin's Griffin
Released: 2012
Summary: Humans have been hunted to near extinction and now vampires rule. Vampires not only crave human blood but also want their flesh. Gene is a human living as a vampire in disguise. His father has drilled rules into Gene to make the act perfect, but then his father disappears and Gene is left on his own. To boost moral in the vampire city, a hunting lottery is taking place. Winners will get to participate in a heper hunt and it's just Gene's luck that his number gets drawn. How can he hide his secret by participating in a hunt that hits a little too close to home. Will Gene be able to keep up his act, or will he become one of the hunted.
My Thoughts: I was really excited to get my hands on this book. I loved the cover, the concept, and even the author's weird, but cool last name. Upon opening and reading the story, I became a little disappointed. I had a lot of trouble connecting with the main character. He's kind of cold and just hard to like. At the beginning, I thought he was kind of a bore and at the end, I was wishing he wasn't such a selfish idiot. I also had a little trouble with the world. I wanted more information on how the world was overtaken by vampires and the humans hunted to near extinction. And, why call humans hepers? Where does that word even come from?
The vampire race introduced in the story were strange creatures. Instead of laughing, they'd scratch their wrists. Instead of kissing, there was something involving an elbow in the armpit. And there were lots of neck cricking and finger snapping. Just odd little creatures.
I was a little disappointed in this book. I might read the sequel that comes out in 2013 just so I know what happens to the characters. I don't know. Other people might really like this book, so don't let my thoughts turn you against The Hunt.
One part I did enjoy, a vampire turning to a gooey, puss-like mush. No glitter here.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3/5
Odd Vampires, Selfish Gene

No comments:

Post a Comment