Friday, June 13, 2014

Reading Right Now! (#10)

Title: Icons
Author: Margaret Stohl
I'm on page 146 of 428 which makes me 34% done with this book.
I was curious about this book, so I requested it from my library and they got it in. I haven't read the Beautiful Creatures series, but I do own all of them, and was curious to read one of the two author's solo works. I was drawn to this book because of the really cool looking cover and the synopsis which involved aliens. I just recently read an alien book (Earthfall by Mark Walden which I enjoyed very much) and was ready to sink my teeth into another out of this world tale. So far, I'm just kind of ehh. We follow a girl called Dol who can sense what people are feeling and can ferret out emotions and secrets from the mind. She lives in the wilderness, which I guess is called the Grass, at a mission where the Padre seems to be hiding her from unknown forces. She has her best friend Ro there with her. Dol vaguely remembers the Day where the aliens came down and killed billions of people with a mysterious force. Her family was killed that day, but she somehow miraculously survived. How? No idea. So now her and Ro have gotten captured and taken to this mysterious island/place where the Ambassador lives. Dol is kind of falling for the Ambassador's son, who has secrets of his own.
So the reason that I'm just feeling ehh about this book is that I'm having a lot of confusion with the story. I don't understand the aliens or really how this future world came to be. I would like a lot more background information on the "Icons" and "The Day"just so I don't feel as much in the dark.
I am interested in Dol and Ro and their mysterious powers and mysterious dots. I also don't know what to think about the romance. I haven't formed a definite opinion on it yet, but so far it seems lukewarm and a little rushed.
So yeah, that's what I'm Reading Right Now! Long story short, it's okay so far but it could be a lot better with more background information at the start. Though I do love the secret documents at the start of each chapter. I am a sucker for secret documents, journals, or even letters scattered throughout texts. So what are you Reading Right Now?

No comments:

Post a Comment