Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Top 5 Wednesday: Top 5 Books I Struggled to Finish

So this week is an interesting topic and another one that I had to think about. Some books came to my head automatically and others I really had to search for. There have been many occasions where books haven't lived up to my initial excitement, and I have had to kind of push myself through them. But, I'm really not a super harsh judge of books. So here's the books that I can remember really struggling to finish. I'm going to even mention one I just plain gave up on.
A Discover of Witches
by: Deborah Harkness

The reason I struggled with this one, because I absolutely hated it. I had to force myself to read through it and get to the end, just in case something great happened. I think my problems with this book were that I hated the characters, there was not enough action throughout the story, and I was taken in and then disappointed by all the hype. This only ended up getting a 1 star rating from me, which really never happens. This book just left a really bad taste in my mouth and it was a struggle to read all 580 PAGES!!! That's just ridiculous. I've known other people that really like this book though, so to each their own.

Sense and Sensibility
by: Jane Austen

Now I might get a lot of hate for this one, but I'm just telling the truth. I struggled to get through this book and I just didn't really like it. This might be what put me off reading classics in general. I read this in 10th grade for an A.R. assignment. Everybody had to read some type of classic and take an A.R. test on it, I chose an Austen book because I had heard good things. I couldn't find Pride and Prejudice on the shelf, so I just went with Sense and Sensibility. I found the whole thing incredibly boring. There was nothing in the story that hooked me and made me want to continue reading it for pleasure. The language that it is written in also caused non-enjoyment on my part. So nope, nope, nope. I haven't read a Jane Austen book since. Maybe I'll try again in the future, I might just have been too young, or it might be that classics just aren't my cup of tea.

The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb
by: Melanie Benjamin

I struggled while reading this one, because it just got boring. I loved the subject of the book and had read another of Melanie Benjamin's books and loved it. I might have over hyped this book a little in my head too. Our main character Vinnie just kind of disappointed me. I wanted an epic love story, I didn't get it. I wanted to really hear about being in a traveling circus/freak show and it was just kind of glossed over. Also a majority of the story was just the same things happening over and over. The history behind the story was cool, but just not as exciting as I wanted it to be. I've heard that Vinnie's real autobiography is even more of a bore.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
by: J.R.R. Tolkien

So I might get hate for this too, but it is what it is. I actually struggled with this book so much that I put it down and never finished it. I know, Blasphemy! I just got really bored while reading it. All the traveling, and singing, and more traveling, and rhymes. I tried to read this in middle school, so I might have just been too young to really appreciate it. I'm gonna try to give it another go and hopefully the next time will be better.

Deadline
by: Mira Grant

I struggled with this book because all the character's pretty much annoyed me. I didn't like how melodramatic the whole story was. I wanted zombies! and instead I get a big government conspiracy and journalists who are much too serious about their jobs. Yeah, I was just annoyed by this book. I didn't like how author continued the story after the shocking first book ending. And the main character Shaun.... ehhh. I do plan on finishing this series though, but the struggle was real with this one.

So those are the Top 5 Books I Struggled to Finish. What makes a book a struggle for you? Reading is all about enjoyment. If you're struggling to finish a book, is it worth it? I don't know if I even have the answer for that because I like to finish every book I read. With some books that can be difficult though. So, that's it for this Top 5 Wednesday. Here' the list to all the Top 5 Wednesday-er's:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1608567-complete-list-of-wednesday-ers






No comments:

Post a Comment