Monday, March 2, 2015

Review: The Treatment (The Program #2) by Suzanne Young

Title: The Treatment (The Program #2)
Author: Suzanne Young
Published by: Simon Pulse
Released: April 2014
Summary: Sloane and James are on the run from the Program. With their names and faces plastered all over the media, they must find someplace to hide. When they run into a group of rebels, they decide to join them and try to bring down the Program. Sloane also has the Treatment in her possession, a pill that could bring back all her memories. With only one pill, should she take it herself or give it to someone else? Is the Treatment even worth taking? Sloane must decide what  she must do to end the Program once and for all.
My Thoughts: This book and I just never really connected. I don't know if that was all on me, or the book. I read the first book, The Program early in 2014 and really enjoyed it, so I was excited to read the sequel. I was also excited to read The Treatment, because one of my goals in 2015 is to finish more series. I believe The Treatment and The Program are a duology, so by finishing it, I have finished one series for the year Yay!
I had a few problems really getting into this book. The first one could have been my fault, because it's been awhile since I read the first book, but in this one I felt like I was dropped into the middle of an ongoing story. Now I know that it is an ongoing story, a sequel, but usually sequels give  a little bit of a refresher before diving right in. This one didn't do that, so I felt very confused for awhile, trying to remember who everyone was and what was happening. For those wanting to start this series, I would recommend reading the books back to back, one after the other to get the full effect of everything.
My second problem was this whole being part of the rebels thing. Now I have no problem with rebel groups, when they actually do rebel type things. The rebels that Sloane and James join don't really do anything to take down the Program. I would actually classify them as a start up rebel group, because the only real rebel thing they actually do is recruitment. And I don't know if two people really make a rebel group. I know there are more rebels, but we never really interact with them. I don't know, I just wanted rebels that actually did stuff instead of running and hiding in safe houses. Also, I don't know how Dallas managed to acquire all of these contacts.
I also wasn't a fan of the love triangle. I don't hate Realm, but I don't like him trying to wedge into Sloane and James' thing. Sloane and James are meant to be together and they don't need an extra person to make their love story more romantic.
My last minor issue was, that what caused the suicide epidemic was never really explained. The book would act like it was gonna give the big explanation, the big cause, and then it never would. I had a hard time buying into a suicide epidemic anyway, so I wanted some type of definite answer to it.
Overall, this book and I just never really got along. I was confused through parts of it and frustrated at other times. I didn't hate it, but I never really loved it either. I will say that it did offer a nice, romantic, love conquers all kind of story. I would just recommend marathoning the whole series to get the full enjoyment out of it.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3/5
This book and I just never connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment