Monday, May 18, 2015

Review: The 100 (The Hundred #1) by Kass Morgan


Title: The 100 (The Hundred #1)
Author: Kass Morgan
Published by: Little, Brown and Company
Alloy Entertainment
Released: 2013
Summary: With Earth devastated from nuclear attacks and severe radiation, the human population has fled to space. They live on the Colony, separated into three districts according to class. Population and resource consumption are heavily monitored and crimes are dealt with harshly. The leaders of the Colony come up with a secret plan to test the survivability of Earth. 100 juvenile delinquents awaiting their 18th birthday trials, and more likely than not executions, are sent down to Earth in the ultimate test of survival. Clarke is an orphan accused of treason. Wells gets himself imprisoned and sent down for the girl he loves. Bellamy sneaks aboard to save his sister. Glass manages to escape and finds life on the Colony is changing. The fate of humanity rests in the hands of The 100. 
My Thoughts: So glad I finally got to read this. I am such a fan of the CW show that I will consume anything The 100 related. I'd heard mixed things about the book, how it disappointed some people and how others really enjoyed it. I think how much anyone enjoys it depends on what they expect from it. People that want an exact replica of the show and their favorite characters are going to be disappointed. Those that go in with a more open mind will probably enjoy it more. I went into it expecting something similar, but different from the show, and I ended up really enjoying the book. I got that 100 world and feeling that I love, with a slightly different story. I really liked it and can't wait for more of it.
There were a lot of differences from the CW show. Some characters in the book don't exist in the show and vice versa. There is no Finn, Raven, Abby, Monty, Jasper, or John Murphy. We do have two characters original to the books in Luke and Glass. Also, the Colony has been in orbit far longer than the Arc on the show. The Colony has been in space for almost 400 years.  Clarke's story is a little different too. I actually like her book backstory more than her show backstory. Clarke's parents are executed and she's accused of treason. I actually think her book backstory would have made for a more shocking/compelling story on the show. I found the differences from the show to just be interesting.
Characters are slightly different too. For example, Bellamy and Clarke don't vie for power of the 100 like they do in the show. I guess what I should say is that neither one of them is really in charge. There are other characters who take those positions in this first book.
The book also has a much slower pace than the show. The show is pretty action-packed, with all kinds of new threats and situations popping up weekly. The book takes its time more, exploring the backstory of characters through flashbacks and chapters told in the four main characters voices. I really enjoyed the flashback scenes. I thought that they were better than the flashbacks on the show.
So I guess I'm gonna wrap-up my rambling review. I liked this book. I liked the story it gave me and wasn't disappointed in it not being an exact replica to the show. if you love the CW TV show, then give the books a shot. Anytime in The 100 world is a good time.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
My love for The 100 is strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment