Thursday, August 27, 2015

Review: The Hero's Guide To Being An Outlaw (Hero's Guide #3) by Christopher Healy


Title: The Hero's Guide To Being An Outlaw (Hero's Guide #3)
Author: Christopher Healy
Illustrated by: Todd Harris
Published by: Walden Pond Press
Released: 2014
Summary: The Princes are back for another adventure, a possible final adventure. Liam, Frederic, Gustav, and Duncan are minding their own business and doing their own thing, when they find bounty hunters on their trail and a price on their heads. The League of Princes has been accused of killing Briar Rose and whoever captures them will receive untold riches. The League is genuinely confused, the last time they saw Briar, she was alive, mean, and well. What the League discovers is that an old enemy has come in to the picture with a plan to take over the kingdoms and ruin their lives. The League must band together to stop this dastardly deed and villainous villain. Let's hope they can save the day, with only a few minor mishaps.
My Thoughts: First, I must say that I LOVE this series. I love the League of Princes, the humor sprinkled throughout the series, and the fabulous illustrations by Todd Harris. This series is so fun to read and laugh at the antics of the princes. I was excited and sad to pick up this book. Excited because of my love for the series and sad for the idea that this could be the last one. I don't want it to end. Christopher Healy has introduced some laugh-out-loud characters who are just a lot of fun.
So for a short and sweet review, I really enjoyed this last installment, but didn't feel that it was the best in the series. Let me explain my feelings before you send Gustav to pummel me. I just felt like too much was going on in this book. So many different quests that ended in a final battle. I didn't like how the League was split up a lot of the time. I like them together and zany. And I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the girls just on their own. I really like the dynamic when they are with the guys.
One thing I've come to expect and love from Christopher Healy is the humor sprinkled throughout his writing. There was the expected humor in Outlaw, but not as much as in the first two books, and I kind of missed the zany fun in some sections.
All in all, I love this series. I will recommend it to anyone looking for a fun, middle grade adventure. Even if they don't want a middle grade, I'll recommend it. I love the princes and all their quirks. I hope Outlaw isn't the end of their adventures and that one day they might come back. While The Hero's Guide To Being An Outlaw was good, it wasn't the best of the series. I'm still gonna push the Princes on everyone though. HUZZAH!
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
A bittersweet end to a great series. I want more Princely Adventures!!

No comments:

Post a Comment