Friday, December 22, 2017

Reading Right Now! (145)

What I'm Reading Right Now! is...


-- The Diabolical Miss Hyde (Electric Empire #1) by Viola Carr -- Eeehhhhh... I don't know about this one yet. Picked it up because of the cover, I can be a sucker for steampunk. I'm over 100 pages in and I'm just not sure about it. It hasn't grabbed me yet. It's all right, but not magnificent so far.
The title miiiight give it away, but this is about a Lady Doctor named Eliza Jekyll who works with the police examining bodies, crime scenes, and the unexpected. Eliza does have a dark side, that goes by the name of Lizzie Hyde. The premise and cover are what got me.
I feel like, even though this is the first book in the series, there's something I've missed. Like this isn't actually the first book, no matter how many times I'm reassured by looking it up on GoodReads, but rather the continuation of an ongoing thing. There's references made to a case Lizzie solved before, a madman that she helped capture.
The world is also not really gelling with me so far. It's Steampunk London mixed with seedy, underworld non-human creatures. I'm just unsure.
I don't know how I feel about the Eliza/Lizzie thing, it's kind of odd to read. I'm getting a little more used to it, but it was kind of jarring when I first started. Eliza Jekyll is also all I'm Woman Hear Me Roar! and I'm kind of like all right, all right, I get it. You're strong woman, talk about something else now, or go solve a case, or something.
So I don't know how I feel about this. I'm not hating it. I'm not loving it. If I had to predict the future star rating of this book, I'd say it would get a 3/5.

That's what I'm Reading Right Now! What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment