Thursday, February 22, 2018

Review: Nemesis (#1) by Anna Banks


Title: Nemesis (#1)
Author: Anna Banks
Published by: Feiwel and Friends
Released: 2016
Source: Library

Summary: Princess Sepora is the last Forger of Serubel. A Forger produces Spectorium, which is highly valued and traded between the kingdoms. But the King of Serubel becomes too greedy for the Spectorium and wants to use it for nefarious purposes. Sepora won't have her ability be the cause of war, so she runs away.
She plans to hide in the Kingdom of Theoria, among the Baseborns. To get there, she has to cross a desert, which turns into quite a journey. She finds herself captured and sold to the King of Theoria. She must keep her true identity and ability a secret. She must also try to save both kingdoms. She also finds herself growing closer and closer to the King.
My Thoughts: This book was fun! It was a story that I managed to mostly breeze through. I have a strange relationship with fantasy books, sometimes I like them, sometimes I can't get into them. Nemesis definitely falls into the like category for me. I'm really interested to see where the next book goes.
I do have some cons as well as praises, and I will discuss them all!
My biggest complaint was that this book had no map illustration! I never before realized just how much I value a bookish world map. This book explores some pretty vast, different kingdoms. I wanted to know where the kingdoms were, what was next to what, but I couldn't because there was no map! I missed having a map.
I also could have done with less focus on the romance. Or have had the romance more hate to eventual love. The lovey dovey gooey mush kind of took over the story, and I wish it hadn't been as vocal. Not saying I'm against the romance, because I do like those two characters together, I just wish the romance had been not as in your face.
The beginning of this book was a little rough too. It made me a little nervous as to whether I would like the book or not. I understood that it was revealing information about the world, but it was a little clunky, it didn't have that flow.
My last little gripe is that this story introduced a lot of cool concepts, talked about them for maybe a minute or two, and then never brought them up again. I kind of wished for more with the Parani, more with the Forging ability, more even with the Harem.
Now for my praises. First off, I thought this story was really fun. It was quick, the characters were fun to follow. I definitely enjoyed the story.
Sepora was kind of a fun character, although her name did remind me way too much of the beauty store named Sephora (which I love! makeup addiction going strong!) Sepora definitely had some spunk. She was kind of wacky. Tarik was the more unexciting of the two, but I did enjoy his character as well.
I also really found the Forging abilities to be quite interesting. I kind of wanted more to be done with that.
I definitely enjoyed Nemesis. It was a fun read that introduced a really interesting world. I'm glad a book that I picked up 99% based on the cover didn't let me down with the story on the inside. I liked it, and I can't wait to check out the sequel.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.7/5
Pretty Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment