Monday, March 11, 2019

Review: An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen


Title: An Anonymous Girl
Authors: Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen
Published by: St. Martin's Press
Released: January 8, 2019
Source: Review copy from Publisher and Netgalley (e-arc) / Physical Copy from Library

Synopsis: The next novel of psychological suspense and obsession from the authors of the blockbuster bestseller The Wife Between Us.

Seeking women ages 18–32 to participate in a study on ethics and morality. Generous compensation. Anonymity guaranteed.

When Jessica Farris signs up for a psychology study conducted by the mysterious Dr. Shields, she thinks all she’ll have to do is answer a few questions, collect her money, and leave.

Question #1: Could you tell a lie without feeling guilt?

But as the questions grow more and more intense and invasive and the sessions become outings where Jess is told what to wear and how to act, she begins to feel as though Dr. Shields may know what she’s thinking… and what she’s hiding.

Question #2: Have you ever deeply hurt someone you care about?

As Jess’s paranoia grows, it becomes clear that she can no longer trust what in her life is real, and what is one of Dr. Shields’ manipulative experiments. Caught in a web of deceit and jealousy, Jess quickly learns that some obsessions can be deadly.

Question #3: Should a punishment always fit the crime?
From the authors of the blockbuster bestseller The Wife Between Us comes an electrifying new novel about doubt, passion, and just how much you can trust someone. (Synopsis From Goodreads)

My Thoughts: Thanks so much to St. Martin's Griffin and Netgalley for providing me with an early copy for honest review.
An Anonymous Girl was Very Good! Very Good I say. I had already read and really enjoyed The Wife Between Us, so I was excited to see what Hendricks and Pekkanen brought to the table next. An Anonymous Girl did not disappoint.
I was gripped throughout the whole book. I just needed to know what was going to happen. I was hooked. There was so much suspense, so much craziness.
There were a lot of small twists in An Anonymous Girl instead of one big, shocking one, which is pretty much the complete opposite of how their The Wife Between Us was. It contained characters that were very compelling to read about. I feel like I can't say much because I don't want to spoil anything at all. I want every reader to experience this for themselves without knowing too much about it. I think that would be the most fun way to read it.
I'm still unsure of how I feel about the ending. There was so much build up, so much tension, so much crazy, that when the ending came, it just seemed kind of tame. I mean, I liked the ending, I guess I was just expecting a great big, mighty, not-what-I-was-expecting shock, and that didn't really happen. I think the ending did fit the story though.
An Anonymous Girl was very, very good and I definitely recommend it. I felt like I couldn't look away while reading it. I'm definitely excited to see what Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen come out with next. Read It!!

BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4.3/5
Note to Self: Be Very Wary of Morality Studies

No comments:

Post a Comment