Thursday, March 28, 2019

Review: A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe (The Salvagers #1) by Alex White


Title: A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe (The Salvagers #1)
Author: Alex White
Published by: Orbit
Released: 2018
Source: Library

Synopsis: Boots Elsworth was a famous treasure hunter in another life, but now she’s washed up. She makes her meager living faking salvage legends and selling them to the highest bidder, but this time she might have stumbled on something real–the story of the Harrow, a famous warship, capable of untold destruction.

Nilah Brio is the top driver in the Pan Galactic Racing Federation and the darling of the racing world–until she witnesses the murder of a fellow racer. Framed for the murder and on the hunt to clear her name, Nilah only has one lead: the killer also hunts a woman named Boots.
On the wrong side of the law, the two women board a smuggler’s ship that will take them on a quest for fame, for riches, and for justice. (Synopsis from Goodreads)

My Thoughts: I liked A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe, I thought it was fun. It's very quick, tons of action, and spaciness. It didn't hit that Firefly sweet spot for me though. It was good, it was enjoyable, but it wasn't the best spacey thing I've ever read. I never really fell in love with the story.
The characters were fine, but they all stayed kind of distant. I never really connected with any of them. The best character for me had to be Boots. Nilah was just ehh. And the rest of the crew weren't filled in all the way, they just stayed kind of secondary, except maybe for Nilah's best friend/love interest. I wanted a little more oomph from the characters.
I didn't like the whole magic angle. I would have rather had this space story just technology based, like really cool, advanced technology. I know the magic plays an important part in the story, but I just didn't really enjoy it. It felt like two very separate entities being mashed together, and the pieces just didn't quite fit.
I thought the story was a lot of fun though. It was BAM from page one and it never really stopped. I'm definitely interested in picking up the sequel because I want to read about their next adventure. I do love a good space book. 

BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.7/5
An Entertaining Space Ride

No comments:

Post a Comment