Friday, May 8, 2020

Reading Right Now! (254)

What I'm Reading Right Now! is...


The Disasters by M. K. England -- I've been so excited to read this book since the moment I saw the cover. It just looks like a book that I will love.
I'm about 100 pages into it and I like it, but I don't love it so far. It has almost everything that I really like in a sci-fi book, but but but something is holding me back.
I don't really love the tone of this book, maybe that's right. I don't know. It's almost too chummy and light. I'm not in love with the main character Nax's voice. One thing that really annoys me about Nax is that while they are going through this really serious situation, he notices just how attractive all his crew members are, over and over again. I would think if you are running for your life, you wouldn't have time to flirt with everybody. It just feels kind of immature for the situation.
This team in the story are really strangers and they get put into this crazy situation, and I don't feel like the team growth is there. It's one minute they are strangers, and the next they are best buds. It just doesn't feel natural.
I don't know. I'm only 100 pages in, so maybe my feelings will change. I really was excited for this book, thought I'd love it, maybe even hyped it up in my mind a little bit, and it's not living up to what I thought it was going to be. It's a good story so far, but I'm not head over heels for it.

That's what I'm Reading Right Now! What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment