Friday, June 19, 2020

Reading Right Now! (260)

What I'm Reading Right Now! is...

 

The God Game by Danny Tobey -- I originally got this for review through Netgalley, but then checked out a physical library copy. I don't really know how I feel about it. It's interesting. I'm curious as to what's going to happen next. I feel weird about it being a game controlled by "God." I don't like how they call it "God." It just seems sort of blasphemous to me. There were also some political jokes that just fell very, very flat for me. Jokes that have been repeated a couple of times, and I'm just over them. I'm also kind of confusing characters, forgetting which character is which, which I think is less of a me problem and more a problem that these voices aren't distinct enough. They just don't feel like high school kids to me. I think maybe I would have believed it more if they'd been college, or even older.
I mean, I'm definitely interested. I think it helps that a lot of the chapters are short. It honestly reminds me of a novel called Erebos by Ursula Poznanski, which I was a fan of. They deal with the same kind of scenario.

Something is Killing the Children, Volume 1 by James Tynion IV, Werther Dell'Edera, Miguel Muerto -- I also got this one for review through Netgalley, then waited too long to read it, and had to check it out from the library via Hoopla. I'm enjoying this one. It's a horror comic where kids in this small town are being killed. A mysterious girl enters the picture to hunt what is killing the children. Sometimes the art style looks a little strange, but overall, I really like it. It has almost a sketch feel to it, but it still feels finished, if that makes sense. Our mysterious girl has these weird, big eyes, which can sometimes look very jarring, and other times look very interesting, in a good way. I'm liking it. I'm interested to see where the story goes. For some odd reason, Hoopla didn't have there series together as one volume, so I had to check out the individual issues, but I'm making sure that I just read the first five, because Volume 1 contains the first five.

And that's what I'm Reading Right Now! What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment