Friday, September 18, 2020

Reading Right Now! (272)

I'm still having fun with #bookopoly and I might even continue with it after this readathon month is over. I'll probably have a tbr of books that I want to read, but when I don't know what to do, I'll roll the dice and see what I land on. It's a good time.
What I'm Reading Right Now! is...


The Familiar Dark by Amy Engel -- I've read this author's Book of Ivy duology and their adult thriller The Roanoke Girls and really enjoyed them all, so I was very excited to check out their next work. I rolled the dice for #bookopoly and landed on the square to read something that starts with the letter F, book or title, so this fit perfectly.
This story is very bleak. I'm not saying that like a bad thing, but that's the feeling it gives me. It's a story about a mother who's daughter is murdered. She's having to live with the grief of that and she's sort of doing her own investigating into who killed her daughter and daughter's friend. This mother, Eve, is poor. She comes from a hard past that has defined her in a lot of ways. She still lives in the small town she grew up in. A small town that has it's own problems with drugs and rough people. Her life isn't easy.
I'm definitely enjoying it. It's a different kind of book from her previous ones so far. The last thriller I read by Engel was The Roanoke Girls and that one was messed up, kind of icky, and I really liked it. The Familiar Dark doesn't have that exact same feel. It kind of reminds me a little of Sadie by Courtney Summers and Winter's Bone. Now, I've never read the book for Winter's Bone, but I saw the movie, so that's what I'm basing my comparison on. I'm not saying The Familiar Dark is the same thing as those two works, but it's giving me that same type of feeling and vibe.
I like it, I can't wait to read more. I'm interested to see what kind of twist or shock it's going to give me. How it's going to end. Amy Engel writes some good stuff.

And that's what I'm Reading Right Now! What are you reading? I'm so glad that the weekend is coming. I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment