Friday, September 25, 2020

Reading Right Now! (273)

Hooray for Friday! Bookopoly is almost over, but I'm hoping that I can squeeze a couple more books in. I've had fun doing it. I think I might keep on using the game board when I'm not sure what to read next. I'd really like to make my own kind of game board/wheel/something TBR thing, because I do find it a lot of fun, I'm just not creative enough.
So, what I'm Reading Right Now! is...


Eight Will Fall by Sarah Harian -- hmm hmm hmm. This book is very strange. I don't really know how I feel about it. I think the main reason that this came on my radar was because of the cover. It has a great cover. And the cover does explain some of what the book is about. I guess I saw that cover and thought maybe it was horror/mystery kind of thing, but it actually is fantasy/horror. It's an odd book.
Now, I want to be fair to it, because I don't think it's all the book's fault. I read, I think it was on the goodreads page, that this book was supposed to be a duology, but the publisher decided that they were only going to do one. The author then had to reconfigure the book so that the story meant for a duology got squished into one book. I can definitely feel that. There's a lot going on in this book. It doesn't get a lot of time to spend on things. Sometimes, I'm not even that sure what's going on. It's odd. It would have been better if it had been allowed to be two books.
There's a lot of horror and gore in this, which would maybe hit me harder if we weren't speed racing through the whole journey. I'm not really connecting/caring that much about the characters. They feel distant to me. There's supposed to be a relationship kind of thing happening and it feels kind of forced. There's no time for it to develop.
This is a strange one for me. There's magic, empaths, horror, death, being stuck in this deep, never ending cave, an evil centuries old magic dude, a band of eight people forced together who start dying (sometimes immediately) one by one, and a lot of body horror. Some of those things I feel like I should like, but I don't know if this book is really working for me. I'm near-ish to the end, so we'll see.

So that's what I'm Reading Right Now! What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment