Friday, January 23, 2015

Reading Right Now! (#19)

Title: Shine
Author: Lauren Myracle
I'm on page 108 of 350 which makes me about 31% finished with the book.

What I'm Reading Right Now! is Shine by Lauren Myracle, and I'm really enjoying it. My mom actually checked this book out from the library and I decided I wanted to read it too. That usually doesn't happen with my mom's books because we are usually not interested in the same type of things. She likes to read books about poor people that live way back in the mountains and how hard their lives are, I like to read just about anything and everything else. But I had heard some good things about this book and decided to check it out for myself. 
So this book is about this girl named Cat who lives in a very small town in the North Carolina Mountains. Her town could be categorized as backwoods in ways because it is really small and the residents are a bit set in their ways. Before a mysterious incident that Cat hasn't told us of yet, she used to be really could friends with Patrick, but in the last 2 years, she has kind of removed herself from everyone. The story starts with a news clipping detailing how Patrick was beaten and left for dead at the place that he worked with a gay slur carved into his chest. Cat recognizes it for what it is, a hate crime. Patrick is in a coma fighting for his life and the law in Black Creek, North Carolina says they are looking for the culprit, but Cat doesn't really believe that. Cat decides to investigate the crime for herself and find out who really hurt Patrick.
So far I'm really enjoying this one. The writing style has kind of drawn me in and made me curious for what's going to happen next. I also want to know what happened to Cat to make her withdraw from everybody. So far I would definitely recommend this book because I am very much enjoying it. Also, it's a standalone and I hardly ever read any of those.
So that's it for what I'm Reading Right Now! Tell me what you're reading in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment