Monday, July 20, 2015

Review: Saga: Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples


Title: Saga: Volume 1
Written by: Brian K. Vaughan
Art by: Fiona Staples
Lettering and Design by: Fonografiks
Coordinator: Eric Stephenson
Published by: Image Comics, Inc.
Released: 2013
Summary: The best way to go into this one is not knowing much about it. The general gist: A man and a woman from warring races fall in love and have a baby. The rest of the universe doesn't like that and our new family must run to survive.
My Thoughts: Definitely odd and definitely fun! I had heard so much hype about this series that I was a little nervous going in to it. I didn't want to be disappointed, and I wasn't! This was really weird, but really good. The start off to this story is really interesting and I can't wait to read more of it.
I really like the humor with which Brian K. Vaughan writes. His glorious credits include Y: The Last Man (which I've read the first volume of and really enjoyed) and the television show Lost (I love Lost so much!! I'm actually still in a saddened state that I have no new Lost to watch now. Sexy Sawyer, how I miss you)! And the art was stunning. I mean it was odd, but so wonderful. Just the imagination that went into these characters and worlds was really fun to experience.
But readers, be ye warned: graphic content lies ahead! This is definitely not a graphic novel for your younger cousin. My younger self's eyeballs probably would have popped out over some of the images. Actually, my present day self's eyeballs popped out over some of the images.
A great start to a series I'm excited to read more of. A lot of great humor and a lot of great art. So far, this is a series that is deserving of the hype.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
Weird, but great!

No comments:

Post a Comment