Monday, July 24, 2017

Review: And The Trees Crept In by Dawn Kurtagich


Title: And The Trees Crept In
Author: Dawn Kurtagich
Published by: Little, Brown and Company
Released: September 2016
Source: Library

Summary: Silla and Nori have heard so many family stories of La Baume, the family's manor house hidden deep in the woods. Sent there by their mother, Silla and Nori finally see the manor and meet their Aunt Cath.
At first, life at La Baume is everything good, but then a darkness starts to invade. The woods seem to be coming closer, they aren't able to leave, and they hear the story of the Creeper Man.
Sanctuary becomes Hell. Two sisters must protect each other from the Creeper Man.
My Thoughts: Crreeeeepy!! Super duper creepy. This is the first book I've read by Dawn Kurtagich, and it will NOT be my last. This is what a horror book should be, creepy, disturbing, and unsettling. I give it a round of applause.
I really enjoyed the style of this book. It really added to that crazy, creepy feeling. Silla is such an unreliable narrator. Her crazy feelings become our crazy feelings. The reading experience was just intense and fun for this book.
The atmosphere was also spot-on. Dark, weird, creepy, and scary. This book reminded me of Shutter Island/Japanese horror movies/and The Uninvited by Cat Winters. It was something to behold.
I can't say I was blown away by the ending, just because I had a vague idea about what it was going to be. I've read endings like that before in books, so it didn't shock me as much as it could have.
One after thought, I did wonder and have questions about the outside world, WWIII, and the disease.
This was an experience to read. It delivered highly on the creep factor. Super weird, strange, and atmospheric. This is the perfect Halloween read! Not for the faint of heart. This was a fun read. It did not disappoint and I can't wait to read more from this author.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
Wow! Just Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment