Monday, September 4, 2017

August 2017 Wrap-Up!

Here's all the books I read in August! I feel like I had a pretty good month. I read two review books, which I'm pretty proud of. I've been trying to do better with reading my review and NetGalley books, because as a blogger, I feel like I'm supposed to be better at that haha. I watched some TV this month too, as always. I'm thinking about bringing back my Movie/TV Series Reviews because I kind of miss doing them. Would anyone be interested in those posts? Let me know.

BOOKS READ IN AUGUST

  
  

-- The Lost Causes by Jessica Koosed Etting and Alyssa Embree Schwartz-- NetGalley Review Book -- RELEASE DATE: SEPTEMBER 5, 2017 -- 4.2/5 -- This was my favorite book of the month! I loved it and definitely recommend getting it for yourself. My review for it will be up tomorrow. I just loved the friendship in this, I loved the special abilities aspect, and I really enjoyed the mystery of it all. As far as I know, this is a standalone, but I want it to be a series so badly. I just had a lot of fun while reading this one and am so glad I got to discover it and read an early copy through NetGalley.

-- Doubt, Volume 2 (Doubt #3-4) by Yoshiki Tonogai -- Library Book -- 4/5 -- This was a fun manga horror. I didn't expect the ending at all, but I kind of had an early inkling of who the baddie was. I'm going to read more from Yoshiki Tonogai, because I did enjoy this series.

-- Breaker by Kat Ellis -- Library Book -- 3.7/5 -- This read was decent, I liked it well enough. It is a mystery/thriller about a boy who is the son of a serial killer. He goes to a new school and finds himself in the same class as the daughter of his father's last victim. Again, I figured out the baddie before the end of the book. I also thought more could have been done with some of the side characters, because they interested me, and it felt like whatever story they could have had was cut short. I had questions about some of the side characters, that's what I mean. But I enjoyed this. I'm going to read more by Kat Ellis.

-- We Were Liars by E. Lockhart -- Library Book -- 3/5 -- I don't think you can be on any type of book social media: booktube, blogs, goodreads, bookstagram, and not be at least somewhat aware of this book. This book has so much hype surrounding it. So many people that say it's fantastic. I am sad to say that I wasn't impressed by this. I can see why people liked this. It's written in a very lyrical, mysterious way that can draw you in. I just found this overhyped. I figured out the ending, I thought it was fairly obvious, so I wasn't shocked by that. I also didn't really sympathize with any of these characters. I felt like they did stupid things, and that stupidity led to the ending they got.

-- Emma In The Night by Wendy Walker -- NetGalley and St. Martin's Press Review Book -- RELEASED: AUGUST 8, 2017 -- 3.5/5 -- This was another NetGalley Review Book that I got to read, so thank you St. Martin's Press! It's already out. My review is already posted here. I really do enjoy mystery thrillers, I find them a lot of fun. This one was just an okay read for me. It was a little dull in the way that they unraveled the mystery. I understand why it was told that way, but it wasn't the most exciting thing to read. I was surprised by the twists and turns this took. I'm interested in reading more by Wendy Walker. 
And I just want to say, I love getting the chance to read books early and share my reviews. It's awesome, and I hope I get to continue to do it. My ultimate dream is to be one of those people who gets physical arcs mailed to me, that would be the best!

-- Chew, Vol. 10: Blood Puddin' (Chew #46-50) by John Layman and Rob Guillory -- Library Book -- 4/5 -- Chew is my FAVORITE FAVORITE comic series at the moment. I love it! and find it to be so much fun. This Volume wasn't my favorite of the series that I've read so far, but it's Chew, so I still love it. Tony was very angry in this Volume. This Volume also contained the much anticipated battle with The Collector, and that battle just felt too short considering all the build up. Can't wait to read the next Volume though! I don't have many more Volumes left, which makes me sad.

-- Daughter of the Pirate King (#1) by Tricia Levenseller -- Library Book -- 3.7/5 -- I was really excited to read this one because I LOVE PIRATES!! The character in this had been compared to Captain Jack Sparrow, which is one of my favorite fictional pirates! But... I wasn't blown away by this book. I don't feel like a lot happened in it, in the grand scheme of things. I wasn't completely onboard with the romance, especially the quick(ish) way it started. I also wasn't the biggest fan of Alosa, like I didn't fall for her. She was nothing even remotely close to Captain Jack Sparrow. I also felt like this book toed this weird line between being a light hearted Pirate adventure and then switching to the dark side. I'm going to read the sequel, because I am interested to see what happens. I know I said Alosa wasn't my favorite character, but she does seem to have an interesting backstory, which I want to learn more about.

That's everything I read in August. I don't think I did too bad a job. I'm happy I read two review books. I'm going to continue to try knocking my review books out. The only way that I think I'll be able to completely keep up with my review books is if I get my library book addiction under control, which has a very, very slim, pretty much nonexistent chance of ever happening. I feel like I mostly enjoyed all the books I read in August too! There was only really one that disappointed me.

TV SHOWS/MOVIES WATCHED IN AUGUST

 
  

As I said earlier, I'm thinking of bringing back my movie/tv show reviews. And if I do manage to stick to that goal, I want to write reviews for all these things that I watched in August. I don't know if you guys would be interested in that. Let me know if you would. But if I really feel like doing it, I'll just do it.

-- Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me -- Rented from Library -- I was bad and never wrote up my July 2017 Wrap-Up, but I'm going to try to put that up at a later date. But in July, I binge-watched Twin Peaks Seasons 1 and 2, and I really enjoyed it. It was weird, funny, and just an experience to watch. I'm really excited to eventually watch Twin Peaks: The Return. I think it's so cool that they brought it back 25 years later!
Anyway, after I finished the Series on Netflix, I wanted to watch all things Twin Peaks so I could be ready for The Return, whenever I do watch it. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is supposed to be a prequel to Twin Peaks chronicling Laura's last days.
I did not like this movie. It just felt like David Lynch was given free rein, and he took everything too far. Most of the characters I really liked in the TV Series weren't in this, they had filmed scenes for it, but they had all been cut. None of the lighthearted humor from the show was included, which was one of my favorite parts. This whole thing was just dark and weird and not that fun to watch. It wasn't a pleasant experience. 

-- The Twilight Zone TV Series -- All the episodes that were on Netflix -- I've been watching this on Netflix for a couple months and finally finished it. I love The Twilight Zone. I thought it was really fun watching all the old episodes. There were some episodes that were just okay, but most of them were a lot of fun.

-- The Defenders -- Netflix -- So Fun! I really enjoyed this highly anticipated Netflix series. I can't wait for the next season, but I know it will be a long time before it comes out. I was familiar with almost everyone's story before watching this, I just have to go back now and watch Seasons 1 and 2 of Daredevil. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are probably my favorites, but Daredevil is edging his way in there too. This was just really fun. I love it.

-- Firefly -- Rented from Library -- WHY DIDN'T I WATCH THIS SOONER!?!?! I loved this. I now feel the pain of all the original fans, after it got unfairly canceled. This was great! It's a Sci-Fi/Western Mash-Up. It has the best crew. And it's just a whole lot of fun. I'm mad that this only got 1 Season. FOX Network, you messed up, you messed up baaaad. LOVED THIS!

And that was my August 2017! How was yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment