Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Review: House of Ash by Hope Cook


Title: House of Ash
Author: Hope Cook
Published by: Amulet Books
Released: September 26, 2017
Source: NetGalley and Amulet Books Review Copy (e-book format)

Summary: Curtis has a lot on his plate. His dad suffers from a severe mental illness and Curtis must make sure he takes his medication, as well as caring for his younger sister. If his dad has an episode, he can turn violent. Curtis worries that he might end up sick like his dad too, especially when he hears a howling wind and whispering voices while riding through the woods. Curtis can't go off the deep end, his family depends on him.
In 1894, Mila is on a ship headed for Canada. Her mother is to marry a man named Deemus, and they will live at his estate called Gravenhearst. The house is enourmous, but there's something not right about it. Gravenhearst holds dark secrets. Mila needs to get herself and her family out of there.
Curtis in present day, Mila in past. Connected by strange occurrences. Can they help each other before the evil wins?
My Thoughts: I received this for review through Amulet Books and NetGalley. Thanks to them for letting me review an early copy. Looking at the cover, I was expecting a middle grade, haunted house story, but I was so, so wrong. First off, it's YA, and it deals with some heavy topics. I think the cover doesn't do it justice for what a crazy ride this is. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice cover, but it's not scary enough for what's inside this book.
THIS BOOK WAS INTENSE!!!
I was hooked from page one. I enjoyed having Mila's chapters and Curtis's chapters. I liked how there were two different time periods that were so connected, and happening simultaneously. The mystery was really interesting too. I needed to know what happened to Mila, Gravenhearst, all of it! I just couldn't seem to put the book down.
I also liked how the author incorporated severe mental illness in the story. I felt bad for Curtis, I felt bad for his sister, and I felt bad for his Dad. I can't imagine not being in control of your mind, and just the thought of the only treatment being numbing drugs is sad. It showed how much of a toll it took on the whole family. It was heartbreaking watching it all unfold.
Curtis's struggle was also heartbreaking. Having him questioning his sanity and afraid he'd end up like his dad. I could sympathize with that fear. That future would have been a nightmare, to go from sane and able-bodied, to not in control of oneself anymore.
Mila's story was super interesting too. I needed to find out the mystery just as much as she did.
The pictures/illustrations in this book felt very unnecessary to me, at least in this ARC format. There weren't very many of them, and they just seemed kind of random instead of adding anything to the story. The best picture was probably the first picture of Curtis and his motorcycle.
This book was a heart-pounding thrill ride. I Loved It! I really was hooked and couldn't put it down until I reached the last page. I would love to know what happens with these characters next. 
I was also surprised by the ending. I didn't suspect the villain, or the big reveal, or really anything.
I really could see this book working as a perfect scary movie. I was on the edge-of-my-seat reading it, and could only imagine how terrified I'd be of it on screen.
The writing style reminded me of Dawn Kurtagich and Megan Shepherd, both authors I really enjoy.
House of Ash was really, really good. It was thrilling, addicting, mysterious, and would make a great Halloween read. I definitely recommend it. I was hooked reading it, and I think others would feel the same way.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4.5/5
What A Thrill Ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment