Thursday, October 11, 2018

Review: The Hatching (#1) by Ezekiel Boone


Title: The Hatching (#1)
Author: Ezekiel Boone
Published by: Emily Bestler Books/Atria Books
Released: 2016
Source: Library

Summary: Deep in the jungle of Peru, where so much remains unknown, a black, skittering mass devours an American tourist whole. Thousands of miles away, an FBI agent investigates a fatal plane crash in Minneapolis and makes a gruesome discovery. Unusual seismic patterns register in a Kanpur, India earthquake lab, confounding the scientists there. During the same week, the Chinese government “accidentally” drops a nuclear bomb in an isolated region of its own country. As these incidents begin to sweep the globe, a mysterious package from South America arrives at a Washington, D.C. laboratory. Something wants out.

The world is on the brink of an apocalyptic disaster. An ancient species, long dormant, is now very much awake. ( Synopsis from Goodreads )

My Thoughts: Man oh man, that was terrifying. It would make a great movie. The visuals it presented would be terrifying to see on the screen. Flesh eating spiders EVERYWHERE. No escape. Covering a person in seconds and just devouring them. Terrifying, Terrifying I Say! After reading some chapters one night, I woke up the next morning to a spider on my wall, and I was scared. Was the universe playing a mean joke on me? Maybe. I killed that spider though, he didn't eat me. 
I really did enjoy this. It was very quick, fast paced. It had that post-apocalyptic vibe that I just love. I would never want to be in an apocalyptic event myself, I mean, who would? I know I would be one of the first to go if that ever happened. But I love reading about the craziness and the survivors. I just eat that stuff up.
This did feel like a definite first part to something bigger, which it is. Don't go into this book looking for a beginning, middle, and end. All you're going to get is the beginning. There's no closure at the end of this book. The reader is left on a massive cliffhanger, so they have to read what happens next.
The beginning of The Hatching introduced us to a massive amount of characters, really too many characters to even get a handle on. It jumped all over the world. A good chunk of the book was just introduction to this character, that character, another character over here. It got a little overwhelming. And most of those characters didn't even live that long. Once our core group of characters got to business, it was more fun to follow.
I won't say I have a special affinity for any of the characters. They didn't have massive heaps of character development. I also got a little tired of how some of the women characters were portrayed. The were all pretty, could get any man they wanted and knew it. Some of the girl characters were just kind of judgmental when they compared themselves to other girls. They just didn't feel real. I mean, it felt very much like a guy writing what he thinks a woman would think, which it was. I don't know if that necessarily makes sense, but I'm sticking with it.
The Hatching was fun and terrifying. It was a very fast-paced read. It would be perfect for Halloween reading. I've got the next book handy, so hopefully I'll get to it soon. If I had been in this book, I would have gotten a flame thrower and fried those evil little spiders to crispy nuggets. Burn them all with FIRE!

BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
I am now terrified of all arachnids, bugs, creepy crawlies. All of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment