Monday, November 26, 2018

Review: Odd & True by Cat Winters


Title: Odd & True
Author: Cat Winters
Published by: Amulet Books
Released: 2017
Source: E-ARC from Publisher through Netgalley/Checked out physical copy from Library

Synopsis: Trudchen grew up hearing Odette’s stories of their monster-slaying mother and a magician’s curse. But now that Tru’s older, she’s starting to wonder if her older sister’s tales were just comforting lies, especially because there’s nothing fantastic about her own life—permanently disabled and in constant pain from childhood polio.

In 1909, after a two-year absence, Od reappears with a suitcase supposedly full of weapons and a promise to rescue Tru from the monsters on their way to attack her. But it’s Od who seems haunted by something. And when the sisters’ search for their mother leads them to a face-off with the Leeds Devil, a nightmarish beast that’s wreaking havoc in the Mid-Atlantic states, Tru discovers the peculiar possibility that she and her sister—despite their dark pasts and ordinary appearances—might, indeed, have magic after all. (Synopsis from Goodreads)

My Thoughts: Thanks to Amulet Books and Netgalley for letting me read an early e-arc of this book for honest review.
I've read a couple of Cat Winters's books and I'm always left wanting to read more. Odd & True was not what I was expecting it to be, I was pleasantly surprised by it. I thought it was going to be a standard YA Monster Hunting Girls story, which I was game for, but Odd & True went so much deeper than that. This was really a story of sisters, secrets, and protecting each other the best way they could.
This is set in the early 1900's, mostly in Oregon and New Jersey. I really like a good historical fiction. I like going to a time gone past, trying to imagine what it was like to live then. I also really like how Cat Winters focuses on German Immigrant stories and experiences, just because that's part of my family story. It's fun to recognize shared backgrounds. Now, I haven't read every Cat Winters's book, but the ones I have read have all contained some kind of German Immigrant aspect to them.
Tru is a character that's living with a disability, childhood Polio that resulted in a stunted, numb leg. Tru is also very level-headed, mostly in comparison to her sister Od. Tru knows her limits, she doesn't feel sorry for herself, and she's determined to do what she wants to do. It takes a little coaxing from Od for Tru to step out of her safety zone, but once she does, she doesn't look back. For readers wanting a book with Disability Rep, this would be a great one.
Od is a very interesting character. She's got this spunk and ability to let her imagination run free. She's the one who definitely believes more in the monsters and charms. She's almost a little childlike in how she presents the world to Tru. She's also a very protective older sister.
Unraveling Od's story was one of the more interesting facets of Odd & True. All the emotions. I just enjoyed the way everything was revealed and how it caused my feelings to change while reading. At the beginning of the book, Od seems a little crazy, but once I found out her story, I felt differently about her.
I also enjoyed the ending of this book. I thought it was really sweet, and it offered a nice wrap-up for the characters.
I'd definitely say give Odd & True a read! It's not going to be what you expect it to be. It's a really good, interesting, heartbreaking story. Each book I've read by Cat Winters has presented a twist I wasn't expecting, and I've really enjoyed them. 
Thanks so much again to Amulet Books and Netgalley for letting me read an early copy of Odd & True for honest review.

BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
What an Interesting Surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment