Friday, July 31, 2020

Reading Right Now! (265)

What I'm Reading Right Now! is...



Black Light Express (Railhead #2) by Philip Reeve -- I don't even know how to explain this series. It's very unique. I'd say it's sci-fi, but a very well done sci-fi. This universe is connected through railways and these sentient trains take species from one world to another. My explanation is not doing it justice at all. This is the sequel to Railhead, which centered on a street thief named Zen Starling who was approached by a strange man named Raven. Raven wanted to hire Zen Starling to pose as a cousin of the ruling family the Noons and board a train for an annual family trip. Stuff happened and it was crazy. Black Light Express takes off right where the first one left off. I would recommend reading them close together, which is something that I'm not very good at doing.
This series is great. It is so unique. It has such good world building. I'm never bored by it, I'm always curious to see where it's going to go next. It's really like nothing I've read before. It definitely deserves more people reading it.
It took me a second to get into this sequel, just because it had been a little bit since I read the first book, but I'm in it now. Stuff has happened. Danger is afoot. I'm just really curious to see where it all goes.
And on a weird side note, my edition of this book is printed on this fabulous, thick, white, creamy paper. It has that great book smell. I don't know what kind of paper this is, but I feel luxe turning the pages.

And that's what I'm Reading Right Now! What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment