Sunday, August 19, 2012

Reading Right Now! Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry

Rot & Ruin (Benny Imura, #1)
Title: Rot & Ruin
Author: Jonathan Maberry

I am on page 257 of 458 and according to the mathematics genius that is goodreads, that makes me 56% done.

I'm really enjoying it so far. It started off a little slow and sometimes preachy in the beginning. This book is all about stressing that zombies were once people too and it's disrespectful to humanity and the family to go on zombie killing sprees, instead their undeadness should be ended quietly and with respect. Yeah, that's about right.
I think it's pretty much known that I really enjoy bludgeon them, shoot 'em in the head zombie books. To me, once they've gone zombie, they're not human anymore. I respect and understand that it would be hard for a family member to see someone they once loved as a zombie and wish they had their final rest. So, I don't know, I don't equate zombies with people/humans anymore. They are now fundamentally different and dangerous. I don't think you need to respect the zombie. Sure, don't torture them like a sicko, but the goal should be on saving yourself rather then giving an undead specimen a peaceful end. I guess Tom Imura's intent is honorable, but I wouldn't really "respect" the zombie. Yeah, that just really rambled on.
The world in the novel is interesting, it's set 14 years after "the first night" or when the dead started to rise and humanity started to fall. The community of survivors are just too driven by fear. They don't try to take back the land from the zombies. They don't go out of their way to kill the zombies lingering outside their walls. And, they don't use electricity anymore because they feel that being too technically advanced led to this apocalypse. Interesting. Also the rationing system they have set up in the town is intriguing. Once a person reaches the age 15, they have to work or they lose half of their food rations. If you don't work, you starve.
The main character Benny is a little ehh for me. He's not set in who he is. Sure it could be cause he's 15, but one minute he hates the zombies and then in the next he's crying for them and wants Tom to save them. I would like him to be a more solid character. He's kind of too emotional.
So, I'm enjoying the novel but I don't think it's going to be one of my favorite zombie books. The cover is really cool and freaky though. Also I love how on the hardcover edition there are random zombie cards and then in the book it describes those zombie cards. Just cool to be introduced to a character and then be able to flip back to the zombie card to get an illustration of what they look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment