Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Top 5 Wednesday: Top 5 Graphic Novels

So I'm finally back with another Top 5 Wednesday. Last month, I just succumbed to laziness which is why I didn't post any T5W.  None of the topics really called out to me either. But here's to hoping I do better in October. So this week's topic is a fun one. I've definitely read a lot of graphic novels that I've liked. The term graphic novel can be a confusing one though. So, in this T5W, I'm going to be combining graphic novels with mangas and comic books, because I feel like they're all related and they should all count for this topic. So here goes my choices.

 
  

1. Fushigi Yugi: The Mysterious Play by Yuu Watase: Before I discovered any graphic novels or series, I first fell in love with manga. I was introduced to Fushigi Yugi through a friend in 7th grade. Her sister was really into anime and manga and owned all the video cassettes of this anime. I know, old school. This manga just brings back memories and is a lot of fun to me. I love Yuu Watase's art style and have read many of her stories. Sure they can be cheesy sometimes, and sometimes the main protagonist can be a ditz, but I just really enjoy this manga series.
2. Marmalade Boy by Wataru Yoshizumi: This series was the first manga series I ever bought for myself and I loved it. It's cute and it just has a cute love story. Some people may be put off by the whole stepbrother and stepsister falling in love with each other, but I was rooting for them the whole time. This series is just cute, funny, and I love it!
3. Chew by John Layman and Rob Guillory: I'm thinking this one falls into the comic series, maybe, but I love this one too. I just kind of discovered it in late 2014 or 2015. The artwork is just so much fun, the stories are really funny and a little gross. This series also holds a special place because the main character and his partner remind me so much of Miles and Sawyer from Lost. When I'm reading Chew, I'm just imagining Miles and Sawyer in place of Tony and John. And I'm not sure if that's what the authors intended or if I'm just delusional. In the second volume, Lost was mentioned in the acknowledgements, so my theory could be spot on. Anyway, this series is just a lot of fun. I've only read the first 2 installments, but I definitely plan on reading a lot more.
4. The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore: Of course The Walking Dead had to be on this list. Because of this comic, my greatest addiction television show was born. I've read the first two compendiums of The Walking Dead comic, so I'm in no way caught up. And I think, don't get mad at me for this, that I like the TV show a little more. But this whole Walking Dead world is awesome and I just can't get enough of it.
5. Locke & Key by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez: This one is a weird one, but I do enjoy the storyline. It's interesting. I've read the first 3 volumes and am definitely planning on finishing. Locke & Key makes it on to my list because I'm interested in seeing where the story goes. Sometimes it's a little weird, but it's always interesting to read. Also, the volumes of this are really well put together and beautiful.

So that's my Top 5 Wednesday: Top 5 Graphic Novels. Tell me what your favorites are. If you want to join in the T5W fun, you totally should. Each Wednesday is a different topic for you to think and about and post your answers. Blogs and Booktube are both welcome, so you should definitely join in on the fun. Check out all the other Top 5 Wednesday-ers here!


No comments:

Post a Comment