1. I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga: This book genuinely scared me. I would read it at night (bad idea) and then be unable to go to sleep, because I heard noises that made me think someone was coming for me or hiding in the house. I got very paranoid. This story is about a kid named Jazz who is afraid that he's going to take after his serial killer father. So there's a lot of dark thoughts in this one and then some murders start to take place. Jasper Dent's father is terrifying. Read this one in full sunlight with the lights on.
2. The Merciless by Danielle Vega: I read this one just this month and really thought it was the perfect Halloween read. This story involves crazy girls who kidnap one of their schoolmates and try to exorcise a demon from her. This story is gory, crazy, shocking, and kind of fun. The ending is pretty crazy too. I won't say it is the best book ever, but if you're looking for a shockingly gory and fun Halloween read, this might just be the one.
3. I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells: This book or series has probably been mentioned before in another Top 5 Wednesday, but I love it, so I'm going to mention it again. This is another serial killer tale about a boy who's a sociopath and is convinced he's going to grow up to become a serial killer. The story takes a turn about half way through that made some people angry, but I still enjoyed it. The main character in this story makes me so uncomfortable, but I love him just the same. This is a great series for Halloween because it's one of those books that makes you uneasy, but you can't stop reading.
4. Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake: Gory and Ghostly, this book just screams Halloween. I mean, look at that cover! So this is about a boy named Cas who is a ghost hunter. He's called to get rid of a deadly ghost named Anna who kills anyone who enters her house. If you're a fan of the tv show Supernatural, then this book just might be for you.
5. The First Days by Rhiannon Frater: Of course I have to include a zombie book because I love them. This is an awesome zombie series! One of the first zombie books I ever really read. I still need to finish this series. This is your classic tale where the zombie infection takes over the world and survivors struggle to keep surviving. Maybe not the scariest thing ever, but you can't have Halloween without some zombies. Braaaiiiiinnssss.
So those are my Top 5 Halloween Reads. What are yours? I'm always on the lookout for a good horror tale, so maybe next year, my list will be even more frightening. If you want to join in on the Top 5 Wednesday fun, you totally should. Each Wednesday is a new and fun topic to think about and enjoy. Check out all the other Top 5 Wednesday-ers here!