Thursday, January 4, 2018

Review: The Gathering (Shadow House #1) by Dan Poblocki


Title: The Gathering (Shadow House #1)
Author: Dan Poblocki
Published by: Scholastic Inc.
Released: 2016
Source: Library

Summary: Five children brought to Larkspur House for different reasons. Poppy gets a letter from a great-aunt she never knew she had, inviting her to Larkspur. Marcus has been offered a scholarship to the Larkspur Music School. Azumi is haunted by her past, and picks a boarding school as far away as possible from her home, and the only school that pops up in her internet search is Larkspur. Dylan and Dash are twin actors who get an offer to film a horror movie at Larkspur.
Five different kids arrive for four different reasons to a strange house. It's empty, except for strange kids wearing masks. Larkspur House has secrets, dangerous secrets. Poppy, Dash, Dylan, Marcus, and Azumi are trapped in Larkspur with no way out!
My Thoughts: This was so much fun! Scary Fun! I really, really liked this. I love scary stories. In real life, I'm a wimp. I can't really do scary movies, but I love scary books. The Gathering is a creepy, haunted house read, where five kids are kind of lured there based on false reasons. The kids end up trapped there and start to find out crazy secrets about Larkspur House.
I really enjoyed every moment of this book. The scares were legit. I would be a shivering mess in that house, probably in a fetal position. This book delivered on the scares, which not every scary book can say.
I enjoyed all the characters and their backstories.
I also loved the pictures included! They added that little extra edge of creepy. I really loved the whole design of the book. The sooty kind of pages, the interactive cover, it was all just really fun.
The only con I would have is that there wasn't really an ending to the story, or any kind of wrap-up. I need the next book now! And I don't have it!!
Another cool thing about this series is that there is an app for it. The app is mostly a choose your own adventure, short scary stories, but it's still a cool thing to do.
This book was a lot of fun and I can't wait to read the next one. It was genuinely scary and creepy, and I had a fun time reading it. It was a super fast read. I need the sequel pronto. I definitely recommend.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4.2/5
Scary Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment