Monday, January 15, 2018

Review: The Leaving by Tara Altebrando


Title: The Leaving
Author: Tara Altebrando
Published by: Bloomsbury
Released: 2016
Source: Library

Summary: Six kindergartners disappeared one day, and for eleven years, their families sat with that mystery. Now, eleven years later, they suddenly reappear. They have no memories of their time away and one of them is still missing.
What happened to these kids? Where'd they go? Why have they returned? And what happened to Max?
My Thoughts: This was kind of a messy thriller for me. I have mixed feelings about it. I feel like things could have been done better.
I'll start with the positive, a pro of the story. I found it to be very interesting throughout. I wanted to see what was going to happen next. It was also a pretty fast read. I would sit down to read, and end up consuming big chunks of it. So, it did keep my attention, and was interesting.
I thought the beginning of the book could have been stronger, provided more of a punch. The events that happened in the beginning could have been told in a stronger, more exciting way.
I also didn't understand why we only got perspectives from two of the returned kids. If five came back, why not give me chapters from all fives' points of view. I ended up forgetting who some the the kids were. They just felt like throw away characters.
I thought all the romances in this book were stupid. They didn't add anything. Some just felt annoying. And one, near the end, was out-of-left-field aggravating. I also didn't really love the characters of Scarlett and Avery. I didn't like Scarlett's chapters because they were told in this irritating, style over substance way. I also didn't like her because of her attitude towards her mom, and her dismissive, I'm smarter than you, attitude. Avery was just kind of childish. And she could be very rude as well.
The reveal of the why the kids were taken was disappointing. All this build-up, and then the ending just fell flat. I was expecting something bigger, and more exciting.
This book ended up being a mixed bag. It kept me interested, but I was meh about it at the same time. I think with different choices, it could have been a lot better.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.3/5
I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment