Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Review: The Secret History of Twin Peaks (#1) by Mark Frost


Title: The Secret History of Twin Peaks (#1)
Author: Mark Frost
Published by: Flatiron Books
Released: 2016
Source: Library

Summary: A secret dossier found in an unusual chest. The Dossier covers many things, but the one interconnecting thread is Twin Peaks, Washington. Twin Peaks seems to be plagued by strange occurrences, colorful characters, and a crime that rocked the town.
The Dossier has been compiled by someone calling themself the Archivist. Agent T.P. has been tasked with discovering the identity of the Archivist, and that means reading through this Dossier of strangeness.
Starting with the Lewis and Clarke expedition and continuing on to the present. Strange events seem to happen in Twin Peaks, but why?
My Thoughts: This was a lot of fun to read. I knew I had to pick this book up as soon as I flipped through it. The way it was put together, the format, called to me. It's told as a cache of secret documents, with classified intelligence papers, pictures, a mysterious Archivist, and so many questions.
Twin Peaks, the show, had never really been on my radar. I didn't even know about the show until I looked a little more into this book. I did start watching the show while I was reading this book. I only finished the First Season of the show by the time I finished this book. I'd read reviews, and was aware that there were spoilers for the show in this book. I was so excited to read the book, that I didn't really care about the spoilers. But, Be Warned! There are SPOILERS!! They come in the last couple chapters of the book. I mean, the show did last air in the 1990's, so you could really encounter those spoilers anywhere.
One aspect that I'm loving about the show is the quirky, weird humor it has to it. The book didn't capture that humor, which I kind of missed. The book had a pretty serious tone throughout the whole thing.
This book is also a Conspiracy Theorists Dream! I would read something, be like, that never happened, look it up, and certain facts would be true!! Now, I know this is a fiction book, and it would be stupid for me to take things as fact in it, but, Conspiracy Theories can be fun! And this had so many about suspicious deaths (or are they??), alien cover up conspiracies, secret government programs, and just all kinds of things that make you question everything! I imagine this book took a good chunk of time to write, with a lot of research, unless he already had all those conspiracies floating around in his head. I feel like I learned a lot of obscure knowledge, and I enjoyed it!
I did get a little bogged down during the UFO section. The incidents kind of ran together, and peoples' names got jumbled in my mind. It was a little dense, and slowed me down.
This book was a lot of fun. I loved the journey and experience of reading it. The format was so cool! I never got bored or annoyed by it. I've heard that there's another book after this, and I'll definitely read it. I might just finish Twin Peaks Season Two first. And I do think if you had no interest in watching Twin Peaks, you could still read this. It has its own story that's fun to dive into
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
A Conspiracy Theorists Dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment