Friday, February 8, 2019

Reading Right Now! (193)

What I'm Reading Right Now! is...



A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe (#1) by Alex White and I'm liking it. I'm about halfway through and it's a pretty good time. The synopsis lays it out as a treasure hunt through space for this mystical, powerful, lost ship. Whoever finds said ship will get a lot of moolah. So we have our band of treasure hunters after this prize with a bunch of people on their tails trying to kill them.
It's a book that's right up my alley really. So I am enjoying it, it's pretty fast paced and full of action, buuuut I'm not in love with it. It doesn't fill that Firefly void that lives in my heart, which is probably unfair to think that this book could do that. There's just something about it that is maybe a little lacking for me. I'm not really in love with any of the characters. They're all right, but I wouldn't say that they are the space crew I'll definitely remember. I like Boots, but some of the other crew members just fade into the background really easily. They also haven't really been a real crew on the ship that much, from what I've read. There's been minimal treasure hunting at best, it's more just running away from Mother and other people that want to kill them. And there's this weird mesh of magic and technology that I just don't really get. I don't understand the magic system. I don't even feel this needs magic at all, just give me awesome technology and I would've been more satisfied.
Don't get me wrong, it's a fun book, but I'm not sure if it's really going to stick around for the long haul in my brain.

So that's what I'm Reading Right Now! What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment