Monday, February 1, 2021

January 2021 Wrap-Up!

 It is time to Wrap Up all the books that I read in January 2021. I need to do better about actually posting my Wrap Ups. I know, I know, I always do this, I say I'm going to do better, and then I just do the same stuff that I did last year. But Whatever. In January 2021, you'll be getting a Wrap Up Post!
I did decently with my reading in January. I didn't read as much as I did January last year (8 books), I've got a two book difference, but I'm pretty sure I can make that up in February and the rest of the year. We'll see. I liked most of what I read. I also started my Deck of TBR game/thing this year, and I enjoyed that. It's fun seeing what the board is going to give me to read, what prompts I have to fulfill. I filmed a February Deck of TBR, I just have to actually edit it and post it. I got the Deck of TBR idea from BooksWithMaddi and I got some of the prompt ideas from BookRoast, both are creators on youtube. Anyway, let's do this!!!

A Song of Wraiths and Ruin (#1) by Roseanne A. Brown -- BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.4/5 -- I don't really get what all the hype is about this series, because I definitely remember hearing a lot of hype about it. This just felt like a standard YA Fantasy Series. It was okay, it was fine, but I wasn't blown away by it. The main characters were just okay. Malik felt very young to me, much younger then he was actually supposed to be. He suffered from pretty bad anxiety, which could be very debilitating to his taking action in some situations. Karina was okay, she could definitely act like a spoiled princess.
I would read the sequel just to see what happens, but I don't get the high star rating for this one. It just felt very average. (Library Book)

The Return by Rachel Harrison -- BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4.3/5 -- This was great! I liked it so much. It had such good visuals to it, I could picture this different hotel in my head. I think it would make a great movie. I'm not going to spoil it, I'll just say that it's a story about friendship. It's a little creepy and sad. Very fast read too. Read this one! (Netgalley e-arc + Physical Library Copy)


The October Faction, Volume 2 by Steve Niles and Damien Worm -- BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.5/5 -- What I love about this comic series is the art style and the tone of it. It really has that Addams Family and The Munsters look to it. The panels aren't busy. They are very dark and dingy in tone. I just really like looking at it. The story is all right too. This Volume didn't have the most going on in it, but it was enjoyable. It was kind of odd how they revealed a pretty big secret very quickly. I expected it would be more of a scene. 
This comic was also made into a Netflix Show and I love the idea of it, but I didn't really think the execution of the show was that good. I'm not surprised it only got one Season. (Library through Hoopla)
 
Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children #5) by Seanan McGuire -- BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.7/5 -- Another Book Series where I don't get the hype. I like it, but I don't think it's the best thing ever. This book we reconnected with Jack and Jill, which was fun. We got to see some other characters too, which I liked. I much prefer the quest books in this series then the new worlds' books. I just think a novella format is too short for the stories she's trying to tell sometimes. I don't like events just getting skipped over and then mentioned as afterthoughts in the narrative, which is what the world books do from time to time. This one started with action and kept up that action, which I appreciated. It was good. I've read through five books in the series, so obviously I'm going to continue. They're good for when you need something short and quick to read. (Netgalley e-arc + Physical Library Copy)
 

Don't Say A Word (Hometown Antihero #2) by Amber Lynn Natusch -- BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5 -- I like this series. I won't say this book had the most happening through most of it, but the end was pretty action packed. I like the characters in this story. I do feel weird though about Kylene and Agent Dawson. I think they make a great team and they definitely have some chemistry, but the age thing bothers me. Kylene is 17 through most of the book and a high school student, Dawson is 23. Nothing bad happens, but you can see the sparks there. I wish Kylene was like a college student or something so I wouldn't feel so weird about this. There is also an old boyfriend that wants to get back with Kylene, and I would root for that relationship, but the poor guy was very background in this.
I want to read the next book in the series, I think she's going to self-publish it. I also want to read this author's adult stuff because I think it would be good. (Library Book)
 
Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty -- BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.7/5 -- I was so excited for this book. I think if I made 5 star prediction videos, I would have put this book on it. I don't give many books 5 stars, they have to be really special to earn that distinction. I just have to feel something really special inside to give a 5 Star Rating. I did not give this 5 Stars. I liked this, but it didn't blow me away like I thought it was going to. I love the premise, 6 clones alone on a spaceship and they all wake up re-cloned after a tragedy where all their former versions got murdered. Their memories have been wiped of the time they've been on this voyage. It's a locked room mystery kind of thing. It sort of had that similar feeling to Clue, which I love. I needed and expected more mayhem in this, that would have made me like it more.
It definitely wasn't a bad story, it just wasn't everything I was expecting it to be. I over hyped myself. (Library Book)
 
And that is everything I read in January 2021! I hope to do better in February. I'd really like to have a big number of books read at the end of the year. Did you read anything good in January? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment