Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Review: Magic Bites (Kate Daniels #1) by Ilona Andrews

 
Title: Magic Bites (Kate Daniels #1) 
Author: Ilona Andrews
Published by: Ace
Released: 2007
Source: Library
 
Synopsis: The world has suffered a magic apocalypse. We pushed the technological progress too far, and now magic returned with a vengeance. It comes in waves, without warning, and vanishes as suddenly as it appears. When magic is up, planes drop out of the sky, cars stall, electricity dies. When magic is down, guns work and spells fail.
Atlanta would be a nice place to live, if it weren’t for magic… One moment magic dominates, and cars stall and guns fail. The next, technology takes over and the defensive spells no longer protect your house from monsters. Here skyscrapers topple under onslaught of magic; werebears and werehyenas prowl through the ruined streets; and the Masters of the Dead, necromancers driven by their thirst of knowledge and wealth, pilot blood-crazed vampires with their minds. In this world lives Kate Daniels. Kate likes her sword a little too much and has a hard time controlling her mouth. The magic in her blood makes her a target, and she spent most of her life hiding in plain sight. But when Kate’s guardian is murdered, she must choose to do nothing and remain safe or to pursue his preternatural killer. Hiding is easy, but the right choice is rarely easy… (Synopsis from Goodreads)
 
My Thoughts: This was just really, really meh. I'm a little disappointed. I thought I was going to like this so much more. I've heard such good things about the Kate Daniels Series, so I was expecting a really awesome first book. I've heard the series gets better after the first book, but I just expected so much more from Magic Bites. As an introduction to a series, it wasn't that great. I'm interested enough to keep reading, but I'm disappointed in how average and meh Magic Bites turned out to be for me.
My main problem is it did an awful job at introducing and explaining this setting. It introduces this magically destroyed version of Atlanta, but really explains nothing of how it got that way. It just left me very confused. As an intro to a series, I expected better and more when it comes to explanation.
I also got very confused when it came to characters and who was who. Some were introduced so fast in the beginning, and I just had trouble remembering them when they'd pop back up again. It just seemed like everyone was very flat, except for Kate and Curran.
The overall story just left me meh. I didn't feel super gripped by it. It was fine, but I was just expecting better. As a series intro, I found it disappointing. I mean, it definitely has the possibility to be cool and fun, but this first book fell flat. The last few lines did give a nice set-up for the next book. I'm definitely going to continue with it, but I was just hoping for more with Magic Bites. I really hope things get explained better as the series goes on. I mean, if Urban Fantasy is your thing, I'd definitely say give it a try.
 
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3/5
Very average, I expected something more 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment