Thursday, June 9, 2016

Review: Icons (Icons #1) by Margaret Stohl

Title: Icons (Icons #1)
Author: Margaret Stohl
Published by: Little, Brown and Company
Released: 2013
Summary: In one day, billions of people died and some of the largest cities around the world went silent. This was the day the Icons came down, an alien force that Earth didn't know it was fighting until it had already lost. The Icons use an electromagnetic force/pulse to literally stop the human heart. Dol's whole family was killed by the pulse, but miraculously, she survived. Dol also has the ability to feel the emotions of people around her. Dol and her friend Ro now live at a mission in the Grasslands, but one day they are captured by Sympa soldiers,, and taken to an island where they meet two more kids like them. Dol discovers that she might be more powerful than she ever dreamed, and her destiny might just be to save the world.
My Thoughts: This was just a mehh book for me. I was excited to get my hands on it, and really intrigued by the concept, but the overall story just left me wanting more.
I really enjoyed the concept of the story. The aliens, the pulse, and the powers were really intriguing. I also loved the secret documents and propaganda scattered throughout the text. Sometimes I would flip through the pages just so I could see where the next special text was. I'm a sucker for secret documents and little extras included in the story.
My main problem with the book was that nothing was ever really explained satisfactorily. The world building just felt off. All these terms were thrown around, like Sympas, Grass, Icons, the Hole, and nothing was ever really explained. I just felt so lost throughout 80-90% of the story. If things were explained more, than I really think I could have had the chance to get sucked into the world and the story. While reading, I just felt so behind and it was like playing catch up to grasp the significance of things, and understand where the characters were coming from.
I also didn't feel that drawn into the characters. Dol was distant. I didn't feel drawn to her as a character. In all honesty, she was a little boring. I also didn't buy the love interest thing.
Overall, I really enjoyed the concept of Icons, but the story inside failed to impress me. Just a mehh read for me. There were some exciting bits that I did enjoy. I don't know if I will actively seek out the sequel, but if I see it at my library, then I'll probably pick it up just to see what happens.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3/5
Just okay, didn't blow me away.

No comments:

Post a Comment